any pike/walleye/carp fishermen on the site?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I've been really getting into fishing lately. I'm goin up north in a few weeks on a fishing trip. (freshwater lakes in northern Quebec have some pretty good fishing)...

Anyway, for the longest time, I've only ever fished with worms and minnows, but I'm trying to get into fishing with lures, jigs, spoons, spinners... Also going to be trolling off a boat...

Just wanted to know if any of you guys/gals have a preference on what lures to use for these types of fish

here's the place we'll be going to

http://www.domaineshannon.com/fishing.html

Thanks! For a change, we'd actually like to catch something other than ugly catfish and eels!! ugh!

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
If the place you are going has perch in it. Use perch look alike lures for the walleye. Pike will eat anything, so get some pretty decent 5 to 8 inch lures for them that look like generic fish, nothing fancy. Spoons work really well for pike, and you want to troll at about a walking pace for pike. To fast and they won't want to chase the lure, to slow and they will figure out that the lure isn't a real fish.

But, I've never fished in Canada before. So I don't know if my way of catching pike will work. You might be able to simple cast for pike since the water might be better up there than in the States. Just remember, the BIG pike eat big fish. So you should always have a pretty good sized lure just in case.

timbo83

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
canal fulton ohio
for the walleye we use a crawler harness dragging on the bottom while we drift across the lake. for pike we use big spoons. cast it at the edge of a weed bed and retrieve. crank a couple cranks and jerk the rod back crank a couple cranks jerk rod back and keep repeating. for carp just sight fish them on the shallow shore lines. watch for them to roll at the water surface. use a big ol treble hook with a dough ball and cast it past them so you dont scare them and reel it right to them and let it float. if there hungery they'll eat it. thats just my 2 cents. it has worked for me hopefully it will work for you. good luck. p.s. i also use big spinner baits (2 times the size of a bass spinner bait) with a trailer hook and I also use big rapalas trolling behind the boat

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
I remember when I was little and lived in michigan you could buy live baby ducks to use as pike bait. You just rubberbanded them to a big hook, cast and let them swim around until it was to late. Looking back that was cruel as can be, but man was is sweet when a pike slammed the surface hitting one of them.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
this + this = this

this rig works wonders for walleye,pike,crappies,perch,and sunfish!!!

EDIT: are you going spring,summer, or fall?????

i have heard of people using small "float n' fly" rigs and they catch pike like mad!!!!!! (this rig is used in spring. cold water= slower metabolisms=less hungry fish.)

Carlsonr

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Palatine, IL
My family goes to Northern Minnesota for a week in the summer to fish. I have had the best luck with trolling Rapalas over rocky bottoms. Just troll your boat in an s-pattern across the lake, and it alters the speed of lures on both sides of the boat as you go.

*edit* sinking Rapalas - anywhere from 8 - 25 feet depending on the lake, water temp, etc.

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I really appreciate the help/advice.

Season opens May 1st, thinking of doing a 3 night stay near the end of the month

- is there any time you'll add bait to a spoon? I sometimes see people adding a half worm on the hook...

is it always advantageous to troll, or is it sometimes better to stick to a spot and wait for the fish to find you?

Baby ducks, huh... lol... first time i ever heard that before.

Thanks again... I gotta figure out what a crawler harness is now, as for a few other terms I'm not familiar with.

rocker92

Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
ill get you a link with a crawler harness in a minuet

rocker92

Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
this is a crawler harness. it is about 3-6ft. they are used to hook a worm by the head and back-end,they help keep the worm long and make it more appealing to the fish.

EDIT: also called a "lindy rig" they just snap on and off. used with a walking sinker tied to your main line and then a swivel connects the 2 lines

Carlsonr

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Palatine, IL
I would recommend trolling in general vs. spot fishing. You are more likely to find the fish. I would check out some trolling planks so you can get six lures behind the boat at different depths.

Just mix up the lure colors/sizes and the boat speed until you make a connection, and then start switching over to replicate what is working.

If you find a really hot spot and want to sit on it, you can mix it up and toss out jigs on the walleye.

In terms of baiting a spoon, it's not out of the question to put a leech on the treble hook.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store