how often do african dwarf frogs molt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I got two last week and they've been shedding skin like crazy. Is this normal? There have been at least three times that I've come in to big wads of skin floating in the tank.

jamesstill84

Curiosity salted the snail!
Jan 2, 2009
Winchester, Kentucky
Heh, I didn't even know they did that. The last 2 that I had got eaten by a small cray that I got. Needless to say, the cray was taken back to the lfs. :(

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I don't know if it's a water quality thing, or coincidence, or if it just takes that long for the skin to work it's way out of the decorations they hide behind. It just seemed odd.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
The frogs eat the molted skin.

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
I remember the one time mine shed its skin, sadly one of the two didn't survive the shedding(they both were shedding at the same time). The shedding just happened all of a sudden and didn't seem like the result of any specific change in the tank. Mine haven't shedded again since and that was almost 2 or so years ago. It sounds like just a normal healthy thing, just make sure they're well protected from anything that might eat them in this vulnerable condition.

I know mine ate their skin, but does anyone remember why they do that? Isn't it like an extra nutrient source or something?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is natural for them to shed (I think all amphibians and reptiles shed). ADF will shed about every 2-3 weeks (if at night you will never notice). The skin is nutritious (did I spell that right??), and the frog will eat it.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I was just worried about mine that first few weeks. They seemed the shed every two to three days. I rarely see it anymore now. One curious thing, one of them turned a real light color after I put them in my tank. It was very obvious when comparing the two that one was pale and the other the standard dark brownish color. Now they are both a little on the pale side but similar looking to each other.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I never realized they shed either until one day I was observing the tank activities and suddenly my ADF reached back with his hind legs to his bum and snagged his skin with his claws. Tugging and tugging until he pulled his skin off whole in front of him like pulling off a pair of long underwear from the back opening and kicking it off. It was something to see and all very natural although for me it was a complete surprise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store