Goldie fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corrieberry

AC Members
Mar 8, 2009
London
My fry are three weeks old tomorrow! Exciting! Ten have survived, they are in a 6G at the moment - when do I need to start moving them? Am going to get them into a pond hopefully, what age will it be OK to transfer them?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hi Corrie. That's a little hard to say without knowing which type of goldfish, the conditions of the pond, and what else is already living in the pond. In general terms, I think it would be best to wait until the fry have grown large enough to fend for themselves in competition with adult sized fish for food and adequate cover.

dpenguinfish

Pwnd by a goldfish. GOLDFISH FTW!!!
Jul 24, 2007
orlando FLorida
i'd say in a few weeks/months. what are the length of the fish currenty inside the pond?

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
You may not want to move them into a pond yet, but a 6 gallon tank is awfully small for 10 fry. If you increase their tank size, they will grow much faster and you will be able to move them to the pond sooner. Water volume is extremely important when it comes to fry growth.
Move them to the pond only when they are too large to fit into the adults' mouths. This may be anywhere from 4 months to 7 months old, depending on the individual care you've been giving them.
Also keep in mind that it is barely Spring, and you may only want to move them into the average pond when the pond temperature approaches the current fry tank temperature. Dropping them into a much colder pond can cause fry to stop growing, cause deformities, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store