Fish-in cycle near end, dead fish & sick fish.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wakingupnow

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas.
Real Name
Jessica
Hello. I apologise if this question is rather lenglthy, but hopefully getting the full picture would help you to help me. :)

I'm still pretty new to the aquarium world and I ignorantly bought a 20 gallon long with too many fish that some didn't get along and that will grow out of the tank. Sad, right? I take the total blame, though I thought I asked all the right questions..Boy was I wrong.

The tank is in the last stages of cycling (Ammonia-0, Nitrite-under .25ppm, Nitrate-5mg/L and pH-6.8) and some of the fish were added later on. I do 25% water changes every day, testing for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH before hand and I use Stress Coat Plus to condition the water. This tank was set up on the 10th of February of this year.

The fish that inhabit my 20g tank now are 6 Tiger Barbs, 1 supposedly Common Pleco, 1 Silver Molly, 1 Marigold Platy and 3 Mystery Snails. I currently have 2 Fancy Guppies in a make-shift tank with a bubbler that I do water changes on every day. This is because my 8 gallon is cycling (fishless) and the Tiger barbs in the 20 gallon ripped their fins to shreds.

Fish that have passed on that once inhabited the 20g tank are: 2 Tiger barbs, 2 Black Lyretail Mollies, 1 Marigold Platy and 1 Mystery snail and I will explain all of their symptoms before their death.

Tiger barbs: One of them I had from the beginning which died had either nipped fins (only 2 barbs in the tank at the time) or fin rot for about 2 weeks then suddenly died during high ammonia spikes. Go figure. The second one was a larger Tiger barb which I bought to make a school of 5. It's behaviour was normal for the first few days and then became lethargic and kept to itself. It had no appetite and was very thin. Before it's demise it didn't have enough strength to swim and layed on the bottom of the tank and died.

Black Lyretail Mollies: One of them was in the first group and was so beautiful. Blackie was the head of the tank and no one messed with her. One day I found a 2 and a half inch white worm like 'thing' coming out of her vent. At this point she was very vulnerable and the Tiger barbs began to bite this 'thing' and pull it. She died about 1 hour later on the 1st of March. The second Molly I bought about a week after Blackie's death to cheer up my Silver male Molly (Snowy). Inky first had some sort of mouth fungus and at that time I was treating the tank for parasite (9th March) because of Blackie. Inky's gills were abnormally white (well it looked abnormal to me) as well. After treatment with Parasite Clear (Tank Buddies), her supposed mouth fungus was gone. A few days ago Inky's belly was slightly swollen so I assumed she was pregnant. As the day went on, her belly got even larger, so much so that her vent stretched to the point where it was one large white patch. A few hours before her demise, she was trying to swim to the top of the tank, but no matter how much she tried she inevitably fell back down to the bottom as if she was filled with something heavy. She died on the 24th of March.

My Marigold Platies came first and together. While now the larger one (Biggie) is doing very well, Smalls began to have symptoms much like Inky, the Molly. One difference is that his stomach did not swell at all. Smalls died at approximately 2:28 am the 25th of March.

The Mystery Snail I had just bought with the other 3 on the 26th of February. I am sure that it was indeed alive and it died 2 days later.

Now, getting to my questions if you are not old and dead by now from the long introduction.

My Silver male Molly has the same symptoms as some of my other passed fish. He sits at the bottom of the tank in one of the corners usually for most of the day. The ridge of his caudal fin, right at the end looked foggy/whitish almost, but dissapeared after 2 days. What is wrong with him and what can I do to help him get better?

I am worried about my tap water and dissolved metals. I read somewhere that brown stains on fake plants can be a sign of iron or other types of metals being dissolved in the water. My main source for my tank is my tap, along with bottled water to maintain a good pH and kH (I hope I'm getting that right at least). Could this be the culprit for the deaths and sickness even with Stress Coat Plus? If this makes any difference, the tank water smells very earthy or like wet dirt.

My Tiger Barbs seem to be doing so so. I have 2 that are just over 1 half inch, 2 that are about 1 inch and a half and 1 that is in between the two. They all are active during feeding, but when it comes to their behavior and color, I am worried. One of the smaller ones does not hand around the others almost all of the time. Sometimes I will see 2 of the smaller ones under the water fall filter. Where their stripes are supposed to be black, often turn an aqua color. Also, I will see the mid-sized and one of the smaller TB's doing their dominance dance constantly with their stripes being aqua in color. Is this normal and if not, what can I do?

I know I have more questions, but I'm terrified that my question is too long already, so I will keep those for another thread.

Please, if there is anything that I might have missed that you need to know, tell me.

Thank you very very much.
Jess

Hebily

My Tank \/
Mar 15, 2009
Racine, Wi
Camera Used
Cannon or iPhone
your 'brown stain' is probably diatoms. 14 hrs shouldn't be enough to overly stress your fish, but I would reccomend no more than 12, closer to 8 is better. other than that, all I can say is next time you know not to use fish to cycle... you seem to be figuring things out alot faster than most, and it sounds like your LFS (local fish store) has fungus problems. although, the "white thing" was prolly just white poop. white poop indicates some definate problems, but I can't tell you what. People will be along that know alot more about all this than I do.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Sounds like your fish had dropsy or culminaris.

Ammonia, chlorine, and excessively high or suddenly changing PH can cause gills to lose coloring.

As Hebily stated brown stains are called diatoms and usually found in new tanks, excess food, excess phosphorus. Too much light is usually more associated with green algae.

deeleywoman

All men are equal before fish.
Mar 9, 2009
Newport News, VA
www.etsy.com
hun, i don't know what the problems are cuz i'm a newbie, but my heart breaks for you and your fish. i'm glad you're smarter than most people who just walk into a store and buy whatever looks pretty, and will know better next time.

*hugs*

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
my 2 cents....

It is likely that fish are dying/sick because of the stress from the fish-in cycle... fish can show signs of gill damage months later in some cases and just drop dead

are you using a good water conditioner to remove chlorine?

also.. that common pleco is gonna get massive-- might wanna consider rehoming him/upgrading to a 55g+ ASAP

it is good that you are doing frequent water changes during the cycle.. but at this point (you are starting to show nitrates) it will only be necessary to do a water change if you notice the levels nearing danger

too many water changes CAN cause stress to already-stressed fish.. especially if a proper conditioner isnt used (I dont know if this is the case.. but a possibility).. now that doesnt mean that water changes are a bad thing.. they are almost always a good thing.. unless they are either done wrong (IE proper conditioner).. or your fish are already overstressed

make sure that your water conditioner removes chloramine, and heavy metals.. NOT JUST CHLORINE

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would lose the tiger barbs if you really want the mollies...

wakingupnow

AC Members
Mar 26, 2009
Nassau, Bahamas.
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks for more answers everyone.

7itanium, I use Stress Coat Plus as a water conditioner. It removes chlorine, chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals it says and it also gives fish a artificial slime coating.

Oh man, I really feel bad about Unbar the Pleco. The pet store I got him from doesn't refund fish or snails even if they are alive unfortunately which really makes me mad considering the employee told me he would only grow to his environment. I'm beginning to dislike that place, but it's truly the best on the island. So my next step is a larger tank for him.

I did a water changes yesterday because some Nitrites were still there. It wasn't 0.25ppm, but it wasn't 0 either.

One difference in the water change I did, was instead of using City tap water, I used my grandfathers well water. The pH was high(7.2+), so I mixed it part bottled water. Even then I still use the stress coat plus.

Hebily and excuzzzeme, what can I do about these diatoms? I have never taken out the plants and scrubbed them because I didn't want to take away any good bacteria for the cycle. Plus the brown stains are mainly on one of the broad leaved fake plants. Should I take them out and give 'em a good old scrubbing?

Oh crap, I forgot to ask one of the most important questions! What is the most effective treatment for Dropsy and/or Culminaris?

Thanks again everyone. :)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store