20g Cork Scape Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I have been feeling like my 15 gallon tank is a bit of a space waste, and that I'd like it to be lower light. I've decided to replace it with a 20g tank, which is the same width but taller. this will give me a little more vertical space to play with, and raise my light from the bottom about 6" or so.

I'm making a big hardscape, sort of a larger version of the paludarium I made recently, (but not a paludarium, a fully filled tank) using cork bark to create cliff walls and filling the cliffs with substrate. I want to create multiple platforms, and zones. The plan is to cover a lot of it with the many many java fern shrubs I've got going in the 15gallon, creating overhanging leafy areas and exposed cork cliffs. I'll be using flourite black to fill in the cork planters, and flourite black sand on the actual tank bottom. There is also a false bottom under the tall, big cliff, so I don't need 9" of substrate, and so I can keep things circulated. The trunk that rises on the back right houses the heater, a small pump to push to the nozzle in the front and under the false bottom, and the filter return and intake pipes for the mini cannister. the intake is almost totally hidden in a box behind the cork, but I can see/change the strainer sponge easily.

a couple of pics from yesterday... I've now built the false bottom area too, which is not shown here.

IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0660.JPG

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Cool. I can't wait to see what this one turns out like!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
here's what I have in the 15 now... everything in here will probably make it's way into the 20. I'd like to get rid of the vals though. I really don't like them.

the stocking will be harlequin rasbora, cherry barbs, tons of crs, and some snails. I'd like to maybe get an sae or a gourami, but not sure if I have the space.

IMG_0603.JPG

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Will the cork deteriorate over time?
I'm just thinking bark here, and not plain old driftwood-type material.
Cork is hard for me to imagine without pins and notes all over it.

It looks really cool so far!

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
supposedly the cork will not break down... it's doing well in my 5g. it tints the water a bit, but not much, and doesn't seem to mold or anything... supports a lot of life, plants and bugs all seem to love it.my snails love it, climb it. but only time will tell. I actually hope it deteriorates, just in a pleasing way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store