angel ate too much

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Godwin J

Registered Member
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
Hey I am new here, anyhoo I have an angelfish in a 30gallon tank, unfortunatetly today my girlfriend fed it too much and now it has a big belly. My question is whill my angel die because of this? Is there anything I can do to help him out?

I ask because I had a similiar probem with a koi who ate too much and had a big belly and died the next day.

Any help is appricated.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
He'll be fine..just don't feed the fish for a few days.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
You may not need to avoid feeding your fish for a few days. Does it appear ill in any way? I would be more worried about your water conditions from overfeeding than from the fish looking very full. More wastes will be produced so you may want to do a 20% or so water change and vacuum the gravel well. Also, female angelfish get a big belly when they are gravid (eggs), and they usually do this when they have been getting fed well (and it also helps to have higher tank temperatures, such as around 82 degrees).

Fish aren't likely to die from being too full, it is more likely to have been polluted water due to the food they didn't get or the poop from the food they DID get soiling the water. I'd do a water change if you are worried and just watch the fish to see if it seems sick. If not you should be fine.

Godwin J

Registered Member
Nov 20, 2003
Visit site
well he's swimming around no problem and bullying other fish as he normally would, and today his belly seem to shrunk, but still I am not feeding him for another 3-4 days just to be on the safe side.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I doubt there is anything wrong with your fish in regards to how much food it is eating, especially if it is acting normally. You could most likely just do that water change and then feed it without skipping any days at all. It won't hurt your fish to skip feeding it for 3-4 days though, unless you start doing this very frequently. Keep in mind it is normal for most cichlids to have rounded bellies when they are healthy and well-fed (angels are cichlids) and that female angels are even more likely to have them. If this becomes an ongoing thing it probably just means your fish is maturing.

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Sounds like he will be fine, though I have lost an angel before to bloat or some type of internal infection. The water was crystal clean though I think he might have gotten to a pellet, ate it in one go, and ended up having big problems with his stomache...those pellets have a means of expanding once wet enought...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store