Brackish tank build: F8s, gobies, and more

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So recently I got my 35 gallon hex tank back up and running and I've been considering stocking it with a couple of Figure 8 puffers and some gobies. The tank will be fairly heavily planted with low-end brackish water (SG~1.004 to 1.006). I plan to upgrade to a 55 gallon tank in the near future (missed one with top and stand on CL for $20). Check out the hex tank below:

More views:

Some info on the current tank (35 gallon hex):

• Filtration: Marineland HOT Magnum Canister @ 250gph. I heave since added a Proclear 75 wet/dry filter @ ~300gph in preparation for the tank upgrade. I'll post more on this with pics later)
  • Lighting: 65 watt 6500K CFL (1.86 watt/gal, on 12hrs/day), DIY hood, LED moonlighting at night
  • Heating: 150 watt titanium reef heater (SW compatible)
  • Substrate: Laterite base, 2.5" of mixed flourite/gravel on top
  • CO2: DIY yeast method, two bottles outputting through DIY bubble counter directly into canister filter intake
  • Plants: java fern and various anubias (Since these photos were taken, I have added several more plants, including crypt wendii and corkscrew val.
  • Decor: large piece of driftwood, a few lava rock "caves", and a half dozen fossilized coral frags (may add a few small "mangrove" style pieces of driftwood to further break up sight lines)
  • Dimensions: 24" high, 11.5" side length , roughly 23" max width
DIY CO2

Filtration (old setup)

The tank has been fully cycled for 6 weeks and I have it stocked with 3 large feeder goldfish at the moment to maintain the bioload before the change over to brackish.

So now on the the questions:
1) Would 2 figure 8 puffers and 4-5 BBGs or 2 kinght gobies work in the current setup? If not, what would you suggest?
2) After upgrading to the 55 gallon what additional stock would you suggest? (I was thinking more gobies or 3-4 celebes rainbow fish)
3) Any other questions, suggestions, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

tank_full.JPG tank_skew.JPG tank_front.JPG tank_closeup.JPG co2_setup.JPG tank_filter.JPG

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Thanks! Yeah I got the tank for an awesome deal off CL before I knew anything about fish keeping. For $50 I got the tank, stand, HOT magnum filter, titanium heater, python gravel vac, a master water test kit (mostly full), a bunch of chemicals, 2 air pumps, and other various supplies. It was hard to pass up despite the hex.

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
you should get your powerstrip up off the floor a few inches so you don't have a problem if you spill or get a leak
Yeah, I had it pulled out that day when I was installing the Co2 system. The powerstrip is now hanging inside the stand so that all the cords form a drop loop.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Nice setup. I would tend to start with a single F8 in a tank that size. Also, keep en eye on the plants, I have not had any luck in keeping plants in brackish, although your SG is low enough that they might do ok.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
That is sweet! Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but how are you able to keep the plants in brackish water? is it because of the co2? Either way sweet set up man!

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
how are you able to keep the plants in brackish water?
There are many plants that will do just fine in brackish water. Since I will be in the low end brackish range (SG from 1.003 to 1.006), a wide range of plants can be used. Check out this link on planting brackish aquaria.

Dan06

AC Members
Jan 22, 2006
That's a cool tank for cheap!

I would house only 2 small F8's in that tank. I housed 2 F8's in a 29g tank and never had any aggression issues towards eachother. I've never experienced F8's being such ruthless killers that so many people say they are. Same goes for the GSP's. I've seen them in community tanks being very peaceful.

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Yeah initially I will probably get the F8s and maybe a few BBGs. I will be upgrading to a 55gal very soon so I will just move them over to that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store