Future Card shop

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unvmyplecos

without sorrow happiness is nothing
Jun 26, 2008
NY
As most of you know, i'm quite young But i'm very bright and want to work in a field i have expierience in and won't wake up dreading work. I plan on opening up a card shop specializing in sports and very strange non-sport cards etc. Due to my extensive collection and background knowledge of succesful shops i know that singles aren't the best way to go but are important. I also know people want what is worth value to them personally (sentimental or otherwise). I plan on saving money to put a down payment down on a small shop in a good area or an area with little competition. I also know that due to our (America's)current economical struggles(though there may be hope that by the year i am going to be able to run my own independent shop it will turn around) the common man won't want to travel far or pay too much for a piece of cardboard or plastic thus i must keep prices down to compete. I want to know if anyone runs or works for such said stores/shops and could give me a possible example of a year's income with expenses factored in so i would know what to expect and whether it is a wise financial decision thank you:thm:,
Will

p.s. This isn't an april fools joke

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
lol, good one unv

kidding kidding :D. sounds like you have your store all planned out, good luck getting info about it

unvmyplecos

Jun 26, 2008
NY
lol fishy

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
I pretty much grew up in these types of shops up to about age 20. The ones that seemed to make the most money were the type of card and game shops that sold and held tournaments for things like Magic the Gathering and whatever the younger kids were playing (it was YuGiOh and Pokemon back then, who knows what it is now). I've also seen many a shop change owners many a time for many reasons. It may not be the most stable of career options, but hey if it is your passion you can't let that keep you away from pursuing it.

unvmyplecos

Jun 26, 2008
NY
thanks. and yeah i think they still play Yu-Gi-OH! and Pokemon because the price for such cards is actually pretty high one Yu-Gi-Oh! card called Crush card Virus is about $300+

tekonus

...meh?
Nov 20, 2008
Long Island, NY
I actually remember when I quit playing YuGiOh early in the games life. There were a lot of expensive cards that you needed to compete in tournaments that I had managed to get through cheap means. I had a deck that had won quite a few tournaments and I was known in my favorite local store. I had read somewhere online that a new expansion pack was on its way that would make most of my rare cards pretty common, so I sold my deck for about $350 to another tournament player and got out of playing YuGiOh after that. When I brought home $350 cash as a 17 year old kid my mom thought I was dealing drugs!

unvmyplecos

Jun 26, 2008
NY
LoL thats kinda cool though the best thing i have as a Yu-Gi-Oh! card worth 21.53, my whole collection added together is only worth about $450.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I have been around game shops for 30+ years and I will tell ya it is not a high money making area. Most bring home after expenses 30K to 50K at most per year.

Most run a shoestring budget and live day to day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store