My leopard danio laid eggs, now what?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
We had just put her in a bag of her tank water to condition her to a new tank. She laid a bunch of eggs in the bag! We've kept the eggs in the bag, and put her in her new tank, where she laid more eggs!

I have read that for breeding danios, you're supposed to have marbles on the bottom so she doesn't eat the eggs. We have a sandy bottom, and I am worried that I will crush the eggs already in there if I put any marbles in there.

I do have anothere tank that she used to live in. The one she is on now was meant to be a Quarantine tank because someone ripped all her fins off and we wanted to soak her in melafix for a while. Her fins seem to be growing back a little, But we wanted her in there for a little while longer. Will melafix hurt the eggs?

Also, I read that leopard danios only have fertile eggs woth zebra danios. Well, I have two leos and three Zebras. How can I tell if the eggs are fertile? Right now they are milky white, mostly clear.

If anyone has any kind of advice relating to this, I would be grateful.

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Honestly, if you are not setup for the babies and have plans for them, I would not worry about saving these eggs. Danios are prolific breeders, and will continue to produce eggs all the time.

Otherwise, you can put the eggs into any tank that has no fish--no need to add the marbles if there is no threat from fish. Provide some circulation to reduce fungus, and the melafix should help with that as well. If there are fish in there, though, the eggs will be eaten. If there is not a male, they are not fertilized--danios fertilize eggs externally.

yashinfan

AC Members
Jun 13, 2003
Were there are danios in the bag with this danio that laid the eggs? Second, you can tell if they are not fertile if they start to grow fungus on them, so it will look fluffy and white. It seems very weird to me that the eggs wouldn't be gobbled up right away. Especially if there is just sand on the bottom, and nothing keeping away the adults, there is the lowest likelyhood these eggs will survive. Just a tip of advice, but when you do want to breed danios- don't keep all the eggs/fry. I now have 2 tanks full of fry, and am setting up my 3rd- all these fish from ONE spawn.

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I am going to breed my danios soon too, and they have already bred in my main tank, but there were no fry.

If there were no other fish in the bag with her, then the only thing the eggs are good for is food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store