White fuzzy stuff on shrimp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
I found some white fuzz on my RCS the other night, and it hasn't gone away. It seems to be covering one eye, and most of the head. It looks to be getting worse.

I remember reading about this in the past, but cannot recall what it was, and how it was treated. I can no longer find that thread either.

Does anyone know what this might be? So far, only one is affected.

bettabrat

AC Members
Feb 2, 2009
CT
Hmmm. I really don't have a clue. My first thought was fungus? Do you have a pic of this or can you get a decent pic of it?

Have you tried adding a pinch of salt, I guess it wouldn't really hurt much as long as there are no salt sensitive animals/plants in the tank. I hope you figure it out, I am curious to know myself.

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
I'm not sure what it is... But I would isolate that shrimp so the others don't get infected ASAP

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
sorry to bring up an old thread, but did you ever figure out what this was? I've seen pictures of white spot and I don't think that's it. this is more of a fuzzy covering, almost as if the shrimp was covered in tiny white hairs.

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
Sounds like typical fungal infection, brought on by a weakened shrimp. I would quarantine just in case, and I am not sure about using anti-fungal medications on shrimp since they're intolerant of certain chemicals/minerals that don't bother fish. Hope it works out.

gtclipse01

likes robes.. a lot.
Jul 14, 2009
Centreville, VA
Real Name
Teddy McGrath
All 7 or 8 that came in were already infected, so they're essentially quarantined already. It sucks, but I'm lucky that I didn't put them in with my CRS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store