Kissing Gourami has Ick!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GoLdFiSh_GrL

Aquarius
Aug 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.xanga.com
I just fed them and I noticed that my Kisser has a ton of white spots on his body and fins. I figured it was ick, so I would like to know what I can do to cure him right now.... Should I separate him from the rest of the group? If it truly is ick, how should I treat it?
:( Please help... Thanks in advance.

-GoLdFiSh_GrL

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
id say leave it cause the rest are going to get it if his got it just treat the tank with a ich remedy of somesort and keep up with the treatment for 5 days after the last visiable cryst. do water changes after every dosage is finished(see package) and put hte temp up a bit and keep some airation also

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
From personal experience I recommend Quick Cure and bringing the tank temperature up to 84 F. However, suggesting the right cure is easier if we know what other fish are in the tank (in case any are sensitive to meds).

If you do a search on ich for this forum you should find tons of suggestions for cures, including one that just uses salt and raising the temp.

GoLdFiSh_GrL

Aquarius
Aug 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.xanga.com
i can't do the one where you raise the temp since my stupid heater is a cheap one. I have to buy another one... i put it on 84* and it comes out w/ 76* after a LOONG time. It's a Visi-Therm 100W and it seriously works like sh**. :rolleyes:

GoLdFiSh_GrL

Aquarius
Aug 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.xanga.com
yeah i was thinking about getting a 100% submersible. My kisser's ich seems to be improving (i think...) :)

Alexander Hoss

AC Members
Nov 19, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Visit site
I don't think your gourami is improving actually. The parasites that causes ich only lives on the fish for a few days, then they fall down to the bottom and reproduce. After a few days they are 500 times as many, and you've got a big problem. This period is the only time meds will work on the parasites. So i suggest you go and buy some meds. An acute method of treatment is to add salt. The parasites don't like salt.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Long ago, there was a very useful site... skepticalaquarist.com
I don't see it mentioned much anymore :rolleyes: . It had excellent advice on ich!!

GoLdFiSh_GrL

Aquarius
Aug 25, 2003
San Diego, CA
www.xanga.com
Well, I added salt during my 75% water change yesterday... my heater started working correctly so I don't think i have to worry about that now... do you guys recommend "Quick Cure" for ich while there's cories in the tank?

BTW, how often do I have to add salt?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store