Pictus with Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ticklemepunk473

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
Vancouver, WA
Visit site
I was gazing at my fish the other day and I npoticed that my pictus cat fish had weird tiny white spots on them. I have decided it is ich and I have turned up the temp in the tank slowly and left the lights off as I have read that light helps ich to grow but how high should I let the temp get? Should I get some chemical meds or will this method really do the trick? I am afraid of my fish getting stressed. I have added a power head to bring in more air and they seem to be ok but my pictus aren't eating! They are just swimming in a corner near the powerhead ( all the better to enjoy the new current I suppose) will my fish get better fast enpough not to starve to death with this temperature treatment or will I need to seek more artificial methods?

Cheers!
Emily

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Get the temp up to about 84. The additional aeration will definitely help. Start adding salt (mix 1 tablespoon in a pint of tank water to dissolve) and get up to about one tablespoon per gallon. You have to maintain these conditions for 4 weeks after the last visible symptom. I've used this method for a variety of fish, including scaleless fish, with great success.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store