10G Shrimp Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Huzzah1981

AC Members
Mar 20, 2009
My family and I went to our LFS in search of a pleco to replace our Bristlenose that died last week, and along with the Emperor/Flash Pleco we bought (beautiful!) we got a Vampire (African Giant Filter) shrimp- my wife was instantly in love with his feathery feaders, and the fact that he would grow to 5" or so.

Unfortunately, it seems our German Blue Ram has taken exception to the shrimp, which is currently only about 1.5" big.

Fortunately, we've got a 10 gallon tank that I've been looking to find a regular use for- so my wife has decried that it shall be a shrimp tank! So, what can I put in there with our Vampire shrimp? I was thinking:

1 Vampire Shrimp
10 Cherry Shrimp
1 Snail (probably Mystery)
6 Endlers Livebearers, or maybe Neon Tetras... whichever is less likely to eat any shrimplettes!

Probably use the leftover Caribsea Peace River gravel that I have (not sure it'll be enough though). Also, I'm guessing these shrimp would look better if I had a darker substrate anyway... maybe some black gravel or sand?

I'm thinking of going with an AC20 filter with a sponge on the intake, the stock light (AGA 24" 15W I believe) on a ~10 hour timer, and a small Stealth heater. I need to make sure there's enough flow in the water for the Vampire's fan/filter feeding... also that there's enough food floating around for him/her/it.

For hardscape, I was thinking of either going with some simple moss on a piece of driftwood and a small rock pile, or appeasing the wife with something fake/kitschy.

I'm new enough as it is with fish, and I've never had shrimp before other than some ghost shrimp... am I on the right track?

Last edited:

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
I don't know anything about shrimp, but I think the red guys look awesome on black substrate... and some nice moss on driftwood

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store