Product Review: Eheim 2217 Classic Series Canister Filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
Company
Eheim

[FONT=&quot]Model[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Link to product description [/FONT]
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3603&pcatid=3603

[FONT=&quot]Price range[/FONT]
$140-$200 USD (depending on retailer)

[FONT=&quot]Pros[/FONT]
Multiple media baskets, large media capacity 1.5 US gallons, Extremely quiet, comes with quick-disconnect valves for the inlet/outlet hoses.

[FONT=&quot]Cons[/FONT]
It is a non-self priming filter. Inlet/outlet flex-tubing supplied is a bit short.

[FONT=&quot]Star rating (1-5 with 5 being the best)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]How long have you used the product?[/FONT]
3 months

[FONT=&quot]Build quality and value for your money. [/FONT]
The filter does not have a chincy feel to it at all. The constrction of all the parts feel sturdy as can be. Definitly worth the money.

[FONT=&quot]Other comments [/FONT]
Overall, I am completely satisfied with the quality of the filter. I chose Eheim because time and time again I have heard that it was a workhorse of a filter and is a product that you just can't kill. I did rather extensive research online as far as reviews are concerned and of all the reviews I did read (of several canisters from different brands, marineland, fluval, rena etc), eheim had the least negative/problematic reviews. Reviews are very subjective and everyone's experience and setup is different and this is something I kept in mind while doing my research.

Turns out, the filter so far is dead silent, I have the canister in an open stand that I built and it makes no noise. I have to get within 6 inches of it to hear anything. The inlet/outlet hoses are a bit short and dont lend themselves to messing up at all. My application is a 72 gallon bowfront tank and i have my filter to the right side of the tank. I had to buy extended vinyl tubing from the hardware store in order to make it long enough. The eheim tubing supplied is actually quite flexible because the walls are thinner than your typical vinyl tubing.

Samboy

Registered Member
Apr 12, 2009
+1 on this filter. I've been using this filter for almost two years now and had no issue or problem....very quiet too.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
Greetings on this cold NY morning,
I own 5 Eheimers and like the efficiency of this filter - 4 of them in use...and no, I am not adding more tanks...too pooped. *See my Personal Gallery.

I purchased a #2217 at the CNYAS auction in Syracuse, NY last year for $10. It was rather cruddy and caked up, well, I cleaned it and it is filtering a 55fer with two big piggish Goldfish in it.

I like the Eheimers not only because they were manufactured in my homeland, but for the reason that they are really a workhorse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store