Ich - Salt Dosage and Corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Carlsonr

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Palatine, IL
**all chemistry, stocking, and relevant tank data I can think of are at the bottom for reference**

I have an ich outbreak on four of my diamond tetras. I'm pretty confident in the diagnosis, but i have attached photos for everyone to take a look at. I have researched the ich treatments pretty thoroughly on this and other sites, and am opting for salt plus heat to treat the group.

My question is in regards to salt dosage. I have panda corys in the tank, which most sites agree should be exposed to "less" salt than others, but the standard salt dosage and acceptable limits are all over the board. I am currently dosing at 1 tsp/3 gallons of water which seems to be a pretty conservative dosage by most accounts. I also have the temperature up to 82 degrees for the duration of the treatment to help the process.

Has anyone had personal experience with dosage limits on corys and would like to share some information? I want enough salt in there to really be effective, but I don't want to deep six any fish in the process.

**Data**

29 gallon freshwater tank, lightly planted

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm (usually 5-10 ppm before treatment)

Temperature: 82 degrees

Stocking list:
1 opaline gourami
5 diamond tetra
4 columbian blue-red tetra
2 panda corys (4 is the eventual goal)

Tank Age: 80 days

Current treatment method:
1 tsp salt/ 3 gallons water
temperature increase to 82 degrees
daily 50% water changes with appropriate re-dose of salt
(2) bubble stones to oxygenate high temp water

Thanks in advance!

IMG_2810.jpg IMG_2814.jpg

REDKAHUNA

AC Members
Mar 4, 2009
MARYLAND
Salt is generally a no/no with cories but guppy breeders have been doing it for years with the tougher aeneus. I have a lot of cories and generally any meds what so ever I use half dosage. The problem I have is there are almost no other fish in my tanks. I use mostly formulin and old fashioned methlyblue for skin irritations and the like. But I have also killed my share of panda cories by overdosing I now take much more conservitive action when it comes to dosaing.

nene

AC Members
Feb 25, 2009
CENTRAL INDIANA
I recently had an out break of Ich and I used the temp increase and salt. I have 6 Corys and they did not seem to be affected. The Ich is gone now and all the fish look and act fine.

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I also recently had my first ich outbreak and with loaches and lots of plants in the tank I didn't want to risk salt. I ended up going with just elevated heat and water changes and so far it's worked (knock on wood). From the research I did when my outbreak started, the temp has to be at least 86 to be effective because ich can't reproduce at temps above 86. With temps under 86 degrees it speeds up their life cycle but they can still reproduce which could result in a bigger outbreak.

It does take a little bit longer for the treatment to work without salt, but my tetras, rasboras, loaches, plants and remaining oto have come out pretty unscathed. I kept my tank at 89 degrees for 17 days - including a full 8 days after I saw the last spot and so far it's looking good. Just make sure to raise and lower your temp slowly and gradually. HTH and good luck!

Carlsonr

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Palatine, IL
Thanks for all the input everyone. I will go ahead and bring up the temp a few degrees over the next 24 hours and keep an eye on everything over the next couple weeks.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've treated with amounts as high as 2 tsp per gallon in tanks with cories, loaches, snails and plants without issue. That is still a relatively low concentration, and shouldn't be a problem, especially for a short period of time.

kelly82

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Lincolnshire, UK
ive treated ich with salt at full dose with cories in the tank, not pandas though, ive only ever used it with bronze and albino, ive never had luck with pandas for some reason, not sure if they are less hardy than the bronze.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store