Molly Gender (Please Post Your Pictures!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
I've noticed a lot of topics listed in regards to uncovering the gender of mollies. I've read that the females have three seashell shaped fins while the males have a pointed anal fin called the gonopodum. The difference between them is pretty clearly identified for most mollies. I have two males and four females. :help: However, in my tank I have a mystery! I intially thought the one molly was a male because its lower fins are not the traditional seashell or trianglar shape and tends to keep the two side ones straight back. However I've noticed now that the tummy is quite large compared to the other male mollies I have. I tried to get a picture but I was unable to get a good one without glare (technologically challenged, I know). I was wondering if you guys would be able to post pictures of your mollies labeling them by their gender? The more photos the better, so that there are many examples of different colors and kinds of mollies to help me and others more easily identify gender.

:confused: P.S. I will try to post a pic of the mystery molly as soon as I figure the darn camera out!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
tends to keep the two side ones straight back.
This behavior sounds like a male. I have had late to blossom males that looked like females far beyond the time when the other juveniles had clearly developed into male or female. No way to tell for sure, unless you can post a photo.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
male molly:

the fin on the male molly stays "rolled up" to make a little tube that acts like a penis.

female molly:

the fin on the female molly stays triangular in shape. it seems molly females dont show a gravid spot as much as guppy females do. provided that you dont get the balloon type, its pretty easy to tell when they are laden with eggs

<3Oscar

AC Members
Mar 28, 2009
IA, USA
Still haven't figured out what the deal is with my camera, my hubby is going to look at it when he gets home. But I'm almost certain she is female now. Today I noticed a gavid spot! Looks like there will soon be little ones!

summer_of_41

AC Members
May 18, 2008
Chicago suburb
It sounds like a male, but a picture is the only way to confirm. Is he small/young? He could still be developing. I've found my molly fry to develop much more slowly compared to my guppy fry.

Good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store