Aggresive female dalmatian molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

canadiandrummer

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2009
Saskatoon, Sask. Canada
Hi all...I am new to raising fish and I have a question. I have a 10 gallon tank with 4 guppies and 2 dalmatian mollies. The mollies are a male and a female. I have only had the fish a few days but have noticed that the female molly is sometimes quiet aggressive especially to the male molly.She will almost try to ram him and nip the side of his body. She doesn't seem to bother the other fish that much but I especially notice it at feeding time. I just had my water levels checked today and they are all fine. I had one of the guppies die shortly after I got it home...before I even got it in the tank...so had to get the levels checked as routine by my pet supplier...and all the levels are good. So, I guess I am asking is this normal behaviour for the female? Could she be pregnant? I have done quite a bit of research since I started the hobby and have learned lots and still learning more. But these forums rock! Thanks for any suggestions!

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Mollies can be this way. The male may be harrassing her since she is the only female in the tank. Do you have plenty of hiding spots for them?

Fish-Addict

AC Members
Dec 7, 2008
Buckinghamshire, England
Real Name
Sam
What is the size difference between them?
Also, does she have a gravid spot (black spot near the vent which is the fry's eyes) because if so she may be pregnant, and so could be the reason for aggression.

Good luck!

Bethany1979

Going insane, wanna come?
Dec 12, 2008
New Jersey
I have had this problem before as well, with my dalmations. I had a pair of female dalmations and 3 platy in a ten gallon. From what I noticed, mollies like a little more room and tend to get aggressive if they feel cramped. Also, as mentioned having 1 male and 1 female could also be the problem. I recommend getting a larger tank and adding another female, or keep the 10gallon and return the guppies and get another female molly. Good Luck!

canadiandrummer

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2009
Saskatoon, Sask. Canada
Thanks to all that have replied...it gives me some ideas to try....I am in the process of getting a bigger tank....but it will be a week or so before I can attain it...I have looked for the gravid spot and haven't been able to see one...as for the size of the fish...they are pretty equal in size....but she just seems to be a bully....I have added some more plants, fake ones for hiding spots and that seems to give the male some breathing room...but he seems pretty stressed so I am watching them fairly closely...also considering adding another female to but kind of holding off for a bigger tank....again...thanks for all the help!!

b.greene

AC Members
Jan 30, 2008
Northern Michigan
Mollies can be bullies. I have several in my tanks. Also, the gravid spot doesn't show on mollies as it does on guppies. My last molly to give birth never even looked pregnant and boom! 20+ babies in the morning :)

canadiandrummer

Registered Member
Apr 7, 2009
Saskatoon, Sask. Canada
To all who replied...thank you...I have gotten ahold of a 40 gallon tank...so I can do more now...but I have noticed somthing interesting....the male has reversed the role and is now chasing the female...this has been happening for a couple days now...did he just get tired of being bullied or is he trying to possibly mate with the female?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store