nipping angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
My girlfriends zebra angel keeps nipping and chasing away her black angel, She was wondering what would be the best way to curb aggression in angelfish. They both live in a 45g, well planted tank, they are still pretty young and the only other fish in this tank are some corys a golden dwarf cichlid and a brazillain puffer. Would more angels spread the aggression out so that there is'nt so much nipping between the two of them? I also hear that you shouldnt keep angels with similar markings together as it causes the similar fish to fight (i dont really know about that one) I was hoping i could get some suggestions to keep things under control

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
You could put in more angels if the ones in there are small. When they are grown then select the best two and trade the others in. 6 would be best.

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
They are cichlids they will always fight. they are just establishing a pecking order.

having a few more would help spread out the aggression but it wont stop it. however having them and taking them out later will be worse because the pecking order will be broken and they will have to start all over again.

but there is not real way to completely get rid of the aggression to each other.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
I disagree. If you leave a pair in the tank they will not have to establish a pecking order. Sometimes angels are pretty peaceful and sometimes they will fight. I have 2 in a tank and they act as if they don't know the other is there. But I have had others that will fight. It is a fairly common practice to buy 6 or so juveniles and grow them out then trading in some of the adults.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
I have my 2 angels for about 3 weeks now and they pick on each other every-once-in-awhile. Nothing serious, it's almost one is saying "Leave me alone!". Anywho, just though I'd put in my 2 cents worth!!

BTW, what is that smilie to the left of the jumping green one??? I can't make it out at all!!! Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store