setting up qt for hypo, used kick ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dbestnindy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2009
Indianapolis
I have a 120g reef setup. I have been treating with Kich-ich. Bad idea, I know, I should have listened to myself instead of other people. It has been over a week and my Kole tang is showing signs of ich. I have a hippo in hypo but 10g is too small for 10 other fish. So, my question is...can I use my dt water to setup qt since it has kick-ich in it? I have to do a water change in dt so it would be nice if I could put the water to use instead of pitching it. I am going to setup a 46g today. Thanks

thincat

AC Members
Jun 10, 2008
Okay, a few questions. When did you buy your fish? How many did you buy at one time. Am I to assume that you did not QT. What are your water Params...I need readings not just Okay. How old is your tank?

dbestnindy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2009
Indianapolis
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 2.5
ph: 8.4
sg: 1.023
the hippo is the last fish I purchased. It came up with ich and no I didn't QT and I have sure learned my lesson. This tank is only about 2 months old. I upgraded from a 46g.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I see no problem with using the waste water that has Kick-Ich in it for a QT tank. As we all have learned the hard way, even after being told, Kick-Ich rarely does anything at all to solve the problem. Try some Cupramine (Copper) in a QT tank, just research which fish are ok with copper treatments, some fish (not many) can not tolerate copper and it will do more harm than good, as an example, a Mandarin, it will kill off their protective slime coating leaving them open to getting sick. Ich (or better put, White Spot on marine fish) is really a terrible thing IMO and I am still amazed with how common it is that there still isn't a good effective cure made yet. Copper is about the best out there, but IMO no means 100%. I have learned to just live with it myself.. I see it on my fish maybe once or twice a year for up to a week at a time, but only up to 6 spots total on a fish. As long as my fish are still acting normal, eating good, and are not "salted" with ich then I don't do anything about it and so far, knock on wood, in 14+ years in the SW hobby I have never lost a fish to ich, but I have had it plenty of times. Lost plenty of fish for other reasons, just not to white spot.

dbestnindy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2009
Indianapolis
Thanks for the input. I have already set up the QT and moved all the fish. I have started the hypo. Man, what a job that was. They sure don't seem to like the move with no rocks to hide in. I did put some pvc pipe in there but it seems so bare. I am sure this is the best route. I sure won't use any chems again or not QT new fish.
Thanks

Last edited:

lenny491

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Kyiv, Ukraine
This tank is only about 2 months old.
This was the biggest mistake that you've made! For the future, never put a white spot susceptible fish in a tank that hasn't been matured for at least 6-8 months. In a mature tank, especially with plenty of corals, the cryptocarion cysts become food for many living organisms and get consumed before they can reproduce, spread and do some real damage.

dbestnindy

AC Members
Apr 4, 2009
Indianapolis
This was the biggest mistake that you've made! For the future, never put a white spot susceptible fish in a tank that hasn't been matured for at least 6-8 months. In a mature tank, especially with plenty of corals, the cryptocarion cysts become food for many living organisms and get consumed before they can reproduce, spread and do some real damage.
Okay, so I have allbthe fish in hypo. So are you saying that since my tank is not matured that I should not put the hippo back in DT after ich is gone?

lenny491

AC Members
Aug 18, 2008
Kyiv, Ukraine
So are you saying that since my tank is not matured that I should not put the hippo back in DT after ich is gone?
No, I'm not saying that. But you should keep your fish in QT for about 4 weeks. During that time the cysts should hatch and die because they do need a fish host to complete their cicle.
PS By the way, how bad was your hippo? What I mean is How may white spots per square centemeter were there (approximately, of course)?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store