Will a betta eat a neon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Ok, so another of my neon's in the 10G disappeared, this time I know its not the cat! Literally 7pm on Monday night I had 4 neon's in the tank, by the time I got home yesterday from work (5:30pm) there were only 3 neon's in the tank, and no sign in or around the tank of the 4th.

Is it possible the betta ate one of them? I find it hard to believe, but at the same time I just don't know that a healthy active neon can die and disappear in less than 24 hours.

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
If it is a male betta, I'm sure it ate the neon. Female bettas (one in the tank) will get along with neons. I still have all 6 of my neons.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
If it is a male betta, I'm sure it ate the neon. Female bettas (one in the tank) will get along with neons. I still have all 6 of my neons.
Yup, its a male betta. I am now down to 3 neons from an original 6, and they have all been healthy, until they simply disappear. I thought the betta was too small to eat them, but maybe I am wrong.

Deanthoreu

its: Dean Thoreau
Mar 11, 2009
near Philadelphia
neons loose there color quickly..and are very difficult to keep....i would bet on it dying and the carcas blending in with the substrate...or being nibbled on after it died....
also u might want to check your filter....little things can actually get sucked up into the filter..

dpenguinfish

Pwnd by a goldfish. GOLDFISH FTW!!!
Jul 24, 2007
orlando FLorida
neons loose there color quickly..and are very difficult to keep....i would bet on it dying and the carcas blending in with the substrate...or being nibbled on after it died....
also u might want to check your filter....little things can actually get sucked up into the filter..
ya watch the filter i had a glofish die by being sucked in a filter

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
This is what is so random about mine disappearing, they all have bright colors, every time one goes missing I remove a bunch of things from the tank in search of them, have checked the filter, checked under/behind the tank, no signs at all. They have actually been pretty easy to keep, it's just about every 2-3 weeks one disappears.

Even if one did die in there, I don't know that the others would be able to eat it that quickly, I had a black neon in there to keep an eye on it, it died, and I was still able to find and remove the fish after over 24 hours.

dixienut

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
Hookstown/Georgetown area pennsylvania
of all thebettas i've had, non were interested in eating anything that size, perhaps a mean one will kill it but not eat it,..
my bettas never bothered with my neons when in the community tank they stayed to themselves but hunted tiny snails and things like that,..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store