Canister Filter tubing size and recomendation

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hi everyone.
I am making a small desk tank. It is going to be a mini S approximately 12x7x9 and was looking to get a canister filter for it. The only thing that it needs is to not leak, since its on a brand new desk.

So I was looking at both the Zoo Med 501 Canister Filter, and the Toms Mini Rapid filter. For the price, I wouldn't mind getting either but ofcourse would prefer the toms mini rapid filter.

Another thing is I cannot find the tubing size for any of these! I was going to get some knock off lily pipes for the inflow and outflow, but cannot find the size of tubing! I found one on a post were it said 3/8 inches, but I converted it to mm (size lily pipes come in) and it registered at nearly a thousand mm!

So which do you think I should get for my application, and does anyone know the tubing size?

Thanks

nugpuffer

AC Members
Apr 1, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I picked up a 10gal tank the other day which came with a Zoo Med 501 canister filter. The vinyl tubing size is 5/16" ID (roughly 8mm ID).

Ozymandias

Metaframe junky
Jun 4, 2008
NJ
Real Name
Roy
really i thought it was 11mm but could be wrong, ether way i would probably go with the Zoo Med 501 i've always hear go things about it. though if you ever see one around an Eheim 2211 is great for smaller tank like that. the problem with finding those though is that thay aren't sold in the US any more but you can still find them on ocation (i have hear a rumors thay where going to be reintroduced though)

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Ok cool. The pipes that I want are either 10mm or 14mm so I'm going to go with the 10......

Thanks guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store