Ecotech VorTech MP10

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
So they just revealed these new smaller power heads...since it says that it is rated for up to a 50 gallon tank, do you think that 2 of them would create sufficient flow in my 72 gallon? Does anyone have experience with the larger ones as well? I don't have any other means of flow other than my return spouts, but I also only have a FOWLR right now as well. Thanks.

http://ecotechmarine.com/products/vortech-mp10/

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It depends upon what you are wanting to keep. The MP10s are not very significant in terms of water motion. If it were me (flow addict), I'd get two MP40s. Personally, I feel you should at least get the MP20 model.

NVM, I see you have FO. Still, I'd go with the MP20s.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Price is also an a factor here...the mp10 is 200 bucks whereas the mp20 is 300 and the 10 model puts out a max of about 1600 gph where the 20 model puts out around 2000 gph max...I don't think the $100 jump warrants the flow difference.

Plus, I don't think I have TOO MUCH clearance behind the tank...so that's a factor too...unless there is a way to slide the tank forward without regretting the outcome.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
Why not go with the Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump/Powerhead 4 series? You can 2 for less than $100.00. The mounting magnet is about .5 to .75 inches thick. Two of these will give you 1200 gph each and you could afford to add more if you feel the need for more flow. You might look into the Maxi-Jet 1200 with the upgrade kit and the optional magnetic mounting system. Or is it the name on the pump that impresses you? Just asking.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Why not go with the Hydor Koralia Circulation Pump/Powerhead 4 series? You can 2 for less than $100.00. The mounting magnet is about .5 to .75 inches thick. Two of these will give you 1200 gph each and you could afford to add more if you feel the need for more flow. You might look into the Maxi-Jet 1200 with the upgrade kit and the optional magnetic mounting system. Or is it the name on the pump that impresses you? Just asking.
From what I have read, these pumps blow the ones you mentioned out of the water...punny. They have adjustable flow rates and a computer also coupled with the fact that they have the broadest flow of any pump and the motor is outside the tank...I like as clean and neat of a set up as possible. I'm big on aesthetics.

GregAW

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Sacramento, CA, USA
From what I have read, these pumps blow the ones you mentioned out of the water...punny. They have adjustable flow rates and a computer also coupled with the fact that they have the broadest flow of any pump and the motor is outside the tank...I like as clean and neat of a set up as possible. I'm big on aesthetics.
Well, you said price was an issue so I just mentioned something that works and much cheaper. I've got 4 of the K4's for my 90. 2 moved the water pretty good. I don't think they are punny, and you might look at their magnums. I may switch to them later on as I, too, have to be price aware. I don't know that you can direct the flow with the VorTech or add a concentrator to the end to create a more directed flow. This was just my choice so I could spend more on fish, corals, and other equipment. It's really your choice and I'm like Amph... I Like lots of water flow and movement, and the ability to direct that water.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I don't think they are punny
I meant punny as in I made a pun...blow them out of the water...:D

As for the price of these pumps...people say they are well worth it. As for direction of flow...from what I have read, you can put them anywhere in the tank and have zero dead spots, so it doesn't need to be "pointed" in any direction.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I would recommend a single MP20 over two MP10s. Two MP20s would be better though if you wanted to convert to a reef down the road.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
I would recommend a single MP20 over two MP10s. Two MP20s would be better though if you wanted to convert to a reef down the road.
Could you explain why? Wouldn't 2 10's create a combined 3200 gph, whereas a 20 would make 2000? Am I missing something here in overall quality or strength or whatever?

Also, what would be the best way about pulling the tank forward a bit if I need clearance behind the tank?

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Unless the tank is very heavy with LR (creating a lot of issues with dead zones), I would choose a MP20 for the wider flow pattern. Since cost is mentioned as being a factor, I would pick the MP20 over 2 MP10s to save $100. If it came down to spending $400 on two MP10s, I'd rather just by a single MP40, again for the wider flow pattern as well as its greater overall functionality with its ability to run in a master-slave configuration -- especially if a tank upgrade is planned down the road. The dry side on the MP20 and MP40 is the same thickness, so external size wouldn't be an issue if there's already room for the MP20.

Moving the tank forward would be a pretty big chore. With a tank of that size, even removing most of the rock and half of the water will still leave a pretty heavy tank to move. If the tank is sitting on medium to high pile carpet, it'll be even harder since it'll have to be lifted up higher to get out of the indentations it's made. I've never tried to move a running tank larger than a 55g, so I don't have much else to offer in that regard.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store