Taylor's 12 gallon planted build thread.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Hey guys I just registered and actually started my first planted tank today. I have been keeping reef tanks for the last 5 or so years and want to venture out a little bit. I am starting with a 12 gallon jbj dx tank. I picked up a few things today to get me started. I am deff. looking for experienced people to help me with equipment, supplements, husbandry, etc. Here is a pic of my reef tank right now.

Anyways here is what I did today. I talked to a few people at different LFS's and the all recomended the stuff I bought. Please chime in if you disagree or have any suggestions with the equipment or supplements I have. I will be adding a jbj 70 watt metal halide viper light later this week. Any ideas on a bulb?

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
If you're going with the MH viper then you're going to need a pressurized CO2 system to go with it, using Excel alone isn't going to provide enough carbon for that kind of lighting. Bulb type isn't really important, buy the one that looks nice to you (most prefer something in the 6,500k-10,000k range).

Aquasoil, great nutrient rich substrate. You won't need to dose macros and micros for awhile.

Flourish is primarily a micro nutrient solution. Eventually you'll also need to dose macro (nitrates, potassium, and phosphates) as well. You may want to learn using dry ferts, same as the bottled stuff but you don't have to pay for water. rexgrigg.com or aquariumfertilizer.com are where you can learn and buy them from.

Excel is a carbon alternative and works well in killing off algae (and a few plant species). Not effective as CO2 injection but good to have on hand.

I believe kent's R/O Right is a GH booster, will provide some essential nutrients for plants.

Off to a good start, but I can't stress enough the importance of a CO2 system for your setup.

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
If you're going with the MH viper then you're going to need a pressurized CO2 system to go with it, using Excel alone isn't going to provide enough carbon for that kind of lighting. Bulb type isn't really important, buy the one that looks nice to you (most prefer something in the 6,500k-10,000k range).

Aquasoil, great nutrient rich substrate. You won't need to dose macros and micros for awhile.

Flourish is primarily a micro nutrient solution. Eventually you'll also need to dose macro (nitrates, potassium, and phosphates) as well. You may want to learn using dry ferts, same as the bottled stuff but you don't have to pay for water. rexgrigg.com or aquariumfertilizer.com are where you can learn and buy them from.

Excel is a carbon alternative and works well in killing off algae (and a few plant species). Not effective as CO2 injection but good to have on hand.

I believe kent's R/O Right is a GH booster, will provide some essential nutrients for plants.

Off to a good start, but I can't stress enough the importance of a CO2 system for your setup.
Cool thanks for the info! I will get co2 as soon as possible! What is a reliable somewhat price worthy option?

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
sumoregulator.com is as good as it gets, high quality parts with lots of customizable options.

rexgrigg also sells high quality parts though missing the nice attached bubble counter.

For the price, you really can't beat the Milwawkee combo at jbjnanocubes.com. $80 for a regulator, solenoid, needle valve, and bubble counter.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
you DONT need halides on a tank that small.. its just gonna cause problems because 6-7 WPG is really high on a planted tank

I reccomend something in the 3-4 WPG range... T5s or powercompacts will do the job on that tank just fine.. and you wont need pressurized CO2

scruztaylor

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
Thinking of buying one of these two. Can anyone chime in. Would the 50/50 bulbs be ok?

• 12 inch double lamp fixture
  • 2-18 watt 50/50 straight pin compact fluorescent lamps
  • On / Off switch
  • Built-in ballasts
  • Sleek aluminum housing (7in W x 2 1/2in H)
  • Highly-polished reflector Acrylic lens cover
  • Ideal for Saltwater and Reef Aquariums
  • Dimensions: 12in x 7in x 2 1/2in

• Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 1 x 18watt
  • Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 1 x 18watt
  • Lunar Light Moon White : 1
  • Product Dimensions : 12" x 7.25" x 2.5"
  • Total Watts : 36 watt
  • Total Amps : 0.21
  • Configuration: D

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
nice reef tank!

the coralife fixture is cool, but the dual actnic bulbs are not the way to go, you want dual daylight for the plants. I think there is a current USa model small like that too. personally, I'd keep it low light and use hanging bulbs above it. you can use daylight spiral cfs if you want, shoot a little higher with the wattage with those though, you loose a lot of the light... maybe 2 20w bulbs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store