Tank Log: 55g All Crypts Riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
I'm new here and this is my very first post. Since I don't really see any other tank logs here I'm not sure if this is the best forum for posting this project, so let me know if there if there is a better spot.

I am setting up a 55 gallon as a riparium with mainly Cryptocoryne in hanging riparium planters. I have a pretty good start on it and tomnight I managed to shoot some pictures. I am not crazy about the dimensions of the standard 55--it's too short front-to-back--but I think that it will work well for this display. I want this tank to create a "botanical" impression with crypts lined up in such a way that their different shapes, colors and sizes are visually contrasted.

I still only have have it set up as a culture tank on a fishroom bench, but here is the aquarium with some of the material that I will use:

There's other stuff in there too, including some ferns and Anubias.

The emmersed crypts are going to form the composition background. I have a couple of ideas for midground plants. I intend to plant these onto Nano Trellis Rafts.

This is a little Pilea sp. that I have had half-neglected in with my orchids.

This Hemigraphis (I haven't been able to figure out species) does well growing hydroponically on a Nano Trellis Raft.

I have a number of big robust crypts already in Hanging Planters. This is a C. wendtii, maybe 'Bronze'. It has flowered for me several times.

The next plant is a Lagenandra idontknowwhichoneitis. I picked it up at a LFS a couple of months ago.

This one has already filled its planter with roots. What a cool plant. I was so happy to finally get my hands on a Lagenandra.

This is a C. ciliata in a Large Hanging Planter. I potted up this one a couple of months ago and it is well-established. Most of the leaves it came with melted as these new ones developed.

I have a few things planted onto Epi-Trellis Rafts.

This Java fern is about the best looking that I have on an Epi-Trellis. It might be too big for this display, and its not a crypt, but I will try it out. It is such a nice plant and I don't really have any other ideas for it right now.

I am going to plant crypts also in the underwater foreground. Here is a nice C. wendtii 'Green Gecko'. I wonder how big these get(?). I need to look for smaller stuff for the underwater portion too because the water will only be ~8" deep.

I'll try to add an update in a day or two. I should have the stand done pretty soon.

Regards,

Hydrophyte

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
Very interesting, keep us updated. :thm:

Is immersed growth rate faster then submersed growth under the same lighting?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Very cool! Do you find it necessary to provide water flow, or are the plants ok without any movement. Any need to mist?

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Wow, that's nice! Keep those pictures coming!

hydrophyte

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
here is a quick update for this tank--a shot form about a month ago.

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
this is one amazing tank! you have obviously spent lots of time in creating and planning!
ooh and welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store