I think I may be nuts...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, after being fed up with the number of power cords today, I decided to remove two of my modded Tunze Nanostream 6025s from my 40 BR. In their place, I grabbed my old (large) modded Tunze Stream 6100 and plopped it in. The last time I estimated the flow from the bad boy, I found it at around 5000 gph (on the maximum setting). The volute length has also been shortened, creating an extremely wide flow. I think I may cut the volute down entirely, so all that is left is the opening. I'll also put it on the most frequent wave setting. I haven't cranked it up yet, but I'm a little nervous about the outcome. I'm kind crazy when comes to flow, but this will put me around 200x turnover if you count the return flow (maybe too much even for my tastes?)... I kinda chuckled when I thought about it, though...

Yes, there will be pics if I manage to pull this off. I want to see my clownfish surfing.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Warn your corals before you turn it on... :)

It would be great if you can video the outcome.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Only one coral to speak of, so little to no warning, lol. I'll see if I can't upload a vid. I also just got my new T5s up (been running 6500k compacts, ugh), so it would be a nice chance to take some pics.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Only one coral to speak of, so little to no warning, lol. I'll see if I can't upload a vid. I also just got my new T5s up (been running 6500k compacts, ugh), so it would be a nice chance to take some pics.
On the plus side if it kills everything you will have a great backup washing machine.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Nah, it won't kill anything. It's too diffuse. I'm more worried about sand (though I do have some coarse stuff there) and splash than anything.

Amphiprion

Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Well, everything is set and it worked like a charm. The only downside is the lights are already off for today. I'll get the pics tomorrow. In any case, it's awesome. LOTS of flow with minimal velocity, sand stirring, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store