goldfish bleeding from gills

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

isontenney

LOOK! it's a fish........
May 16, 2006
Misawa, Japan
So we've got this goldfish, and he's always been the biggest one in the tank, always very healthy. And then today right after we fed him, we noticed that spurts of blood were coming out of his gills! and then he..... vomited. at least that's what it looked like. well, the bleeding only lasted for about a minute, but now he is much less active than he usually is. He didn't even want to eat.

Anybody have any ideas what could be wrong with the fish? none of the other fish are showing any symptoms.

There is one other peculiar thing going on with him, he's got these white spots on the leading edge of his pectoral fins. They aren't spreading. They don't seem to bother him. They don't seem to be ich. He's a male if that helps.

Anyways, back to the bleeding gills thing, anybody have an idea?

ph 6.4
ammonia 0ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 10ppm

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
The white spots sound like breeding tubercles, as far as bleeding from the gills goes though, you've got me stumped.

Wiggs

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
It could be Septicemia. Are the fins clamped? Red Streaking? I know Septicemia can erode blood vessels that could cause bleeding.

However, if the little white on the fins is related, it could be something else. Do you have a picture of the fins?

At this point, I would advise to begin treating with a broad-range anti-bacterial medicine, and keep a very close eye. Feed the medicine as directed. If it is indeed septicemia, it can cause dropsy through the build-up of internal bleeding.

isontenney

LOOK! it's a fish........
May 16, 2006
Misawa, Japan
fins aren't clamped, no red streaking. I'll look into septicemia more to see if it fits.

Wiggs

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
fins aren't clamped, no red streaking. I'll look into septicemia more to see if it fits.
if there is no red streaking, and the fins aren't clamped then that may not be it.

How about his gill movement? does he seem to be rapidly moving them?

Any sharp objects int he tank he may have brushed on?

Anything sprayed in the room?

You treated with dechlorinator your last water change?

Just covering the bases D:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Was the bleeding in both gills or only one? What other fish are with him?

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
Is it possible he tried eating something sharp?
This may not be it, but my fancy did this once. She had tried to eat a large rock, it got stuck in her throat obviously but she got it out, it bled a bit and then she threw up her last meal.

Of course if could be many other things.

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
Are you sure it wasn't just passing the food through the gills?
If you have a red pellet that you feed your goldfish, sometimes they eat it, and 'spit' it through their gills.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
and then he..... vomited.
I dont mean to be smart or anything.... I am truly sorry about mr goldfish

but.. um... I have never in all my years of fishkeeping seen or heard of a fish puking lol... I really hope we get this figured out because I am truly and utterly confused

Last edited by a moderator:

bettagurl

Colby's Pincher (24X)
Aug 5, 2006
va
I dont mean to be smart or anything.... I am truly sorry about mr goldfish

but.. um... I have never in all my years of fishkeeping seen or heard of a fish puking lol... I really hope we get this figured out because I am truly and utterly confused
What? Goldies throw up all the time.
Mine do it at least once during feeding, because they take in too much, or end up biting off a piece they can't handle. Or they just like throwing up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store