Paludarium starting up.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Hello People,

i am Leo, from Austria, Europe. Just startet up a 60X45X60 (cm) Palu. Ok so far, i am very pleased with the setup. The only problem that occurs is the water. It is unusable for submerged plants and animals. I made the back and one side wall with xaxim. The xaxim is watered with a little pump. There is a piece of wood (root) as well in there. I am filling up the water part with normal water, medium hard. after about a couple of hours the water turns very soft. I can manage the conductivity and the pH. the carbonate hardness is still about zero and after giving hardening salt or fresh water it only helps for a couple of hours then the same story again (trying for about one week now).

Does anyone know if the xaxim turns the water soft? I guess so, does ist settle after a while?

Here a Picture of the setup.

Greetings

serissime

second-guessing
Nov 24, 2008
Wow... I can't really add anything.. but this looks beautiful!

Welcome to AC!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Sorry, not familiar with the term xaxim, but after a while, the leaching of tannic acids should taper off. In the mean time, why not choose inhabitants that will appreciate those conditions? Many killifish species would feel right at home in that water, as would a lot of asian cyprinids, anabantids, and many other choices.

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
xaxim is a product of tree ferns. It will get green (ferns, moss grows out of it) of its own when it stays wet/humid.

To look for fish that suit the water is logic, my idea. I wantet to have soft water for the plants (bromelias, orchids and so on) and for the fish ( the killifish are up high on my wishlist) but the aquarium plants died in less than 4 days, they look like the leafes vanished. The woman from the Aquarium shop told me that no fish would live in this non carbonated water (i asked for a cleaner fish today, she wouldnt give me one). I dont understand realy because the pH stays about 6,3 and the conductivity is about 280uS/cm, the carbonate harness is about 1 degree (german scale).

It is little difficult for me to explain in english because the terms an also carbonate degrees and so are shown in different scales in Europe. I hope it is clear what i mean.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
great tank. I'm so glad to see more people posting in this section!!!

my guess is that the plants didn't die from the hardness, but from lack of light and nutrients. In a new tank with no fish, you have very little for the plants to consume, and in a paludarium you have much less light reaching the plants.

in terms of fish, you have very little volume to work with, and it sounds like you don't have a filter, just a pump. I'd go as small as possible... I've had good luck with danionella translucida in my tiny paludarium... don't know if they're available to you there.... but here are some tiny guys to consider: http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
There is a filter in it, also the water gets filtered over the xaxim plates and the land part that is constructed with zeolit, filterpads and iseland lava stones, on top of it is a layer of terrarium substrate. The roots of the plants and the javamoss will filter as well in the futere. I took the dead plants out immediatly. Think you are right that there are no nutrients for the plants and the light might be a reason to. There is 49watt in it and it is 60 cm high. I will try with a special nutrient medium for nano aquaria when i change the water next time.

So you mean that the very low carbonate hardness is not bad for plants and some selected fish? I thougt some fish would be happy with it but the lady at the shop made me think everything would die in this water. have no ammonia tests at home yet:headshake2: but i could look at NO2 NO3 and Fe tomorrow. for about 3 hours i made a water change. pH is 7,4 now and carbonate hardness about 2. I want to have a pH of about 5,5 to 6 for the plants.

Thx:thm:

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That's a really nice Paludarium! Why don't you skip the fish and keep a few frogs in there instead?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store