Fish's Fin Stuck In Gill

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DartGuy

Lotsa Platys!
Jan 16, 2009
USA
Hi,
Recently I noticed a one of my platys that looked like it was missing a pectoral fin. Upon further examination, I realized that it's fin was folded over and stuck inside it's gill. What can I do to help my fish? :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
Wow, never heard of that one before... how long has it been like this? I would try to wait it out, and hope it corrects itself and if it doesnt you may have to net him and help a little.

Maybe someone with experience in this will chime in. Good luck!

DartGuy

Lotsa Platys!
Jan 16, 2009
USA
It probably happened within the last week, but I'm not sure.

Carlsonr

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Palatine, IL
Could you chase it around with a net a little and see if having him zip around wiggles it loose? Normally I wouldn't recommend undue stress on a fish, but it would be the least invasive way to remove it if it works.

Madding

A frog among toads.
Apr 12, 2009
New York
If it's been over a day, I'd bite the bullet and take him out with a net. Try to free his fin as fast as you can and get him back in the water. He would have freed it himself by now if he could, and the fin could be rotting or getting torn up inside his gills. The stress alone is probably rising his chance for disease or Ich, and with the source at the gills I'd say it's even more possible it could lead to something else. Better take a chance with this fish rather than risk the whole tank getting stressed or sick because of it.

That's just my opinion.

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i would seriously net that fish out hold him down and take a toothpick and pull that fin out

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
If chasing him around the tank is unsuccessful then you could help him out in a less stressful way as follows:

Get some clove oil, also known as eugenol, at the pharmacy or health food store.
It costs about $4 or $5 for a small bottle. Buy an eyedropper at the same time.

I try to catch a fish using the net to sort of move him towards a glass measuring cup I use. (I want to get one of those plastic dip containers that the pet stores have)
I get him to swim into the cup. I think it's less stressful this way.

He should be in about 8 to 12 oz of tank water in the cup or container.

Get another very small container to put about 3 oz of tank water in. I have a turkey baster in my fishkeeping equipment that is reserved just for using clove oil because it leaves an oily film in the baster.

You would have to use soap to get it out and we can't use soap on plastic items that we use for our fish.

Put 1 drop of clove oil in the small container or turkey baster and shake vigorously.
You want it to be emulsified. It will look slightly milky. Then drip slowly, a drop at a time into the container with your little fish, until the whole amount is in with the fish.
If you go too slowly you may have to shake the mixture vigorously again to make sure it emulsified.

The fish will continue to swim around a bit, but gradually it will become anesthetized and will slow down and eventually be on it's side on the bottom; still breathing, but asleep as if for surgery. In fact, this procedure is used to perform minor surgical procedures on fish.

If the fish is not asleep in a few minutes you might need to do another drop the same as above. Give it about 10 minutes because it might take that long.

Once the fish is sleeping you can gently manipulate the fin to remove it from the gill.
Look him over well to make sure he hasn't sustained any damage. Put him back in the container, slowly pour some of his water out so you can add fresh water from the tank to dilute the concentration of clove oil. He will revive and swim around.

Then you can put him back in the tank immediately, unless you think the water temp has become significantly different, is so then slowly bring the temp up in his container by adding more tank water a little at a time.

Using the clove oil to anesthetize the fish is also the first step in a humane method of euthansia for fish, that I learned here on AC. You put the fish to sleep and then mix up a stronger, lethal dose of the clove oil/tank water mixture. Then you introduce that into the water with the fish, gradually, and he goes deeper and deeper into sleep until his heart stops. At that point I wait another 10 minutes to make sure he is not breathing and is assuredly dead. Then I put him in a baggie in the freezer.

Sorry to got into the discussion of a more morbid nature, I am just so happy to have the knowledge of this procedure for humane euthanasia that I want everyone to know it, too. It's not something we ever want to do, but sometimes it is the kindest thing when we have a fish that is beyond help. Which, by the way, I certainly don't believe to be the case with your little fish.

There is a very informative article written by one of our members. I think it is a sticky. If you want to read that I can give you the link, if you can't find it.

I hope the anesthesia method helps, if he can't get his fin out of his gill by any other means.

Last edited:

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
i would seriously net that fish out hold him down and take a toothpick and pull that fin out

Or you could go with the more direct method, lol. :eek:

Bush.... you are such a guy. I bet you just yank a fishhook right out of your finger, barb and all, and keep on fishing, lol.:evil_lol:

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
very good idea melody, i didnt even think of anestetics just getting the fin out as fast as possible

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
If you use the clove oil, DO NOT OVERDOSE, YOUR FISH WILL DIE.

Clove oil is great if used correctly, but too much, and your fish sleeps permanently.

I'd just hold him down and take it out with tweezers, very fast though, causing little stress as possible.

Never heard of a fin stuck in a gill...
Weird.
Like getting my leg stuck in my ear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store