Suggestions for new T5 light placement?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
i have a 20 gallon tank

these are my lights: Nova Extereme 18" T5HO, 1x20w 10K+ 1x20w Actinic
Total Watts: 40W
http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/2284/Nova-Extreme-T5-18"-Saltwater/

it says i need a glasstop on the tank as the fixture is not meant for open top tanks, which is np. but i have a question.

the fixture is 18" and the tank is 24". so if using the mounting legs, they would have to sit on the glass. i guess that makes no difference but is there a problem with omitting the legs and just sitting the fixture directly on the glass? (bulbs an inch or so away from water) or modding the legs to shorten them a bit?

the reason i ask is because i read that too much lighting (lights too close to water) can burn corals and light going through glass loses it's intensity. how should i set this up? :help:

Carlsonr

AC Members
Mar 3, 2009
Palatine, IL
I don't believe there are any ill effects to placing that light directly on the glass hood in terms of heat buildup, and I have read that the glass hoods remove very little light intensity. I am running a similar lighting setup (24" T5 sittng on a glass top over 30" tank) with no problems so far. Since the light is shorter than the tank, legs may help light get to the sides of the tank more easily.

I have a planted freshwater tank and no real SW experience, so I can't comment about burning corals.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
no problem. ty Carlsonr.

it turns out i should have ordered the 24" fixture when i ordered these :swear:

i DO NOT want to return them if i do not have to. the shipping fees, waiting, the calling etc. ugh!

all i want to grow are "beginner" soft corals like on these pages.
http://www.chehaliscoral.com/page.php?id=12

http://www.aquacon.com/Begcorals.html

the 24" is the same except an extra 4 watts on each bulb (total of 48w instead of my 40w)

can anyone suggest if i should sit this right on the glass to make up for it being 18" and 8 wats shy of the 24" or is this light fixture just too small to grow the corals i listed for this tank? :confused:

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
I don't believe there are any ill effects to placing that light directly on the glass hood in terms of heat buildup, and I have read that the glass hoods remove very little light intensity. I am running a similar lighting setup (24" T5 sittng on a glass top over 30" tank) with no problems so far. Since the light is shorter than the tank, legs may help light get to the sides of the tank more easily.

I have a planted freshwater tank and no real SW experience, so I can't comment about burning corals.
You are on the right track fresh water guru =). It is better to keep the light off the glass... the legs idea is better ....

You can build your own canopy with wood just avoid the soft woods like pine... birch or oak would be good choices.

You can retro fit the hood and I suggest visiting the hydroponic plant stores. They carry a material called Mylar. Reflective stuff and glue it down and or staple it to the inside of the wood to reflect more light down.. have an open back and a tiny computer fan or something to keep air flow going.

The glass is a good thing to have to prevent splash up (some fish do it) and water on hot bulb = shatter. Plus it will keep the evaporation down.

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
no problem. ty Carlsonr.

it turns out i should have ordered the 24" fixture when i ordered these :swear:

i DO NOT want to return them if i do not have to. the shipping fees, waiting, the calling etc. ugh!

all i want to grow are "beginner" soft corals like on these pages.
http://www.chehaliscoral.com/page.php?id=12

http://www.aquacon.com/Begcorals.html

the 24" is the same except an extra 4 watts on each bulb (total of 48w instead of my 40w)

can anyone suggest if i should sit this right on the glass to make up for it being 18" and 8 wats shy of the 24" or is this light fixture just too small to grow the corals i listed for this tank? :confused:
Soft corals are good starter ... the lights should be sufficient. Depth +watts matter most... watts per gallon is a guideline only and it is not accurate.

IF you do build a simple hood and use mylar, it will look nice, the lights wont light up your entire room =p, and it will cut back loss of light cause of lack of reflection without.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
Soft corals are good starter ... the lights should be sufficient. Depth +watts matter most... watts per gallon is a guideline only and it is not accurate.

IF you do build a simple hood and use mylar, it will look nice, the lights wont light up your entire room =p, and it will cut back loss of light cause of lack of reflection without.
hi and ty :)

i also forgot to mention in the book that came with lights, it makes it very clear NOT to have under a canopy or hood. so now i guess my question is, fixture on glass with no legs or should it be propped up? or does it even matter with the lights and tank in question?

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
IM and idiiot you did provide the link...nevermind..be back in a bit after i have time to read a bit ..plus i have work to get done.

IM back: dear god I am not on my A game today..sorry for being such a DOLT.

That fixture would be ok ontop of the glass yes...but like I said earlier suspending it by wire or using legs...

There are kits also that put a swing arm like thing to the tank so you can lift it out of the way... I have to dig later.. or you can.

Should be in lighting accessories at marine depot site.

its fine on the glass ...i will make that totally clear =)...I just have a thing about being electrocuted ...i dont like it. =) so for safety I suggest the legs or mounting brackets for fixtures.

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The only issue with having it directly against the glass is providing adequate cooling for the bulbs themselves. Good cooling can increase intensity by as much as 20%.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Also, to add to Amphiprions statement, it will also make the bulbs last longer if you keep them cool by suspending the light a little off the glass vs resting directly on the glass.

As far as intensity of light, I know in the other thread where I was talking about it I didn't mention percentages. On my PAR meter, when measuring with and without a glass top, it was only around a 5% decrease in PAR output with the glass on. Yes, it does reduce the light a little, but 5% is nothing when you figure in a MH bulb loses something like 20% of its intensity the first 90 days on its own.

On the topic of a canopy, that fixture can be used in a canopy, as long as you provide active cooling like the computer fan suggestion mentioned above. If one were to decide to go a canopy route I would still suspend the fixture at least an inch below the top of the canopy so your not resting the fixture against the top. The ballast/metal on the fixtures get pretty warm and I would almost guarantee you will blow the ballast fairly quickly if one were to mount a fixture like that directly to the top piece of wood on a canopy. No were for the heat to go if you do that. Just suggestions, take them for what they are. :)

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
excellent advice. ty again.:thm:

ok, right now i have slid out the polycarbonate lens from the light fixture and the lights sitting on the glass. i noticed if i raise the lights 1/2" it doesn't change the lighting in the tank, and this should greatly help with cooling the bulbs, and i suppose i should put the poly lens back in the fixture or else the bulbs might get hit with salt spray.

i read polycarbonate transmits light very well, much better than glass. i'll put up a pic soon so you can see what i'm looking at. please let me know if there is something wrong with this. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store