Is it possible to OVER skim a tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
i read somewhere that you can remove trace elements and possibly start killing certain corals if it's not always pulling a dark liquid. is this a bunch of malarkey?

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
IMHO/E, yes. It isn't always easy to do (it rarely is for most), but it is certainly possible. I have noticed it in tanks that mainly house "sps" type corals, which show signs of deprivation much faster than other corals (other than maybe many soft corals). It basically results in a "failure to thrive" sort of situation where there is little to no algae, pristine water parameters, and very poor looking corals.

That being said, I do still advocate good skimming and I do tend to oversize my skimmers. Just don't go overboard :).

Actually, it all has less to do with "trace elements" than macroelements, like nitrate, phosphate, etc. You can limit those to enough of an extent to cause problems. Most trace elements haven't been proven to be useful in one way or another short of anecdotally. The only things you should worry about is calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium--and be sure to test for those.

-Nemo-

Master Diver
Jul 31, 2007
Great Barrier Reef
i have a 20gallon with a octopus HOB bh100-f skimmer rated for tanks up to 90 gallons. is that overboard? lol

when i set this tank up (been up for about 10 months now with no problems)
i used 100% fully cured live rock, that skimmer skimmed the dark coffee skimmate for the first 2 or 3 days, ever since then it has never skimmed anything darker than a light green/brown smelly skimmate. i have to assume my live rock does my filtering and the skimmer doesn't have much to do. after the first week i had the tank and ever since that point, water conditions have always been at desired levels (PH , ammonia, nitrite, nitrate)

i want to add corals soon and now i'm worried!
Amphiprion said:
The only things you should worry about is calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium--and be sure to test for those.
even for beginner corals such as these?http://www.chehaliscoral.com/page.php?id=12
http://www.aquacon.com/Begcorals.html

Last edited:

ToeJam

MMORPG ADDICT!!
Jan 9, 2009
Tacoma,WA
Worrying about over skimming is like worrying if a plane will land on you. It may happen and can happen but its so unlikely.

Myself I dose Two Little Fishies brand C-Balance daily. It's main job is to replace those trace elements skimming takes out. At the very same time keep my Calc and Alk in balance. (does promote coraline algae to)

I personally think there is no way to over skim. I think ignoring dosing trace elements is the issue and blame falls on skimmer. But its not the skimmers fault. It's doing its job...its the tank owners fault for ignoring dosing.

About worrying over coral additions:

The reason you saw dark skim was probably due to die off and tank still maturing. When a tank has matured and been maintained well it takes a bit longer to see that much collection.
Unless you do something like over feed , move rocks and kick up detritus, or something dies in a unseen spot and rots away.

Your system doesnt have lps or sps...so there is still calc inside your rocks ..the main concern over mature tanks with sps or lps is over time the calc will be leached out and used up from your rocks..so dosing is needed as those things grow.

The only worry you should be concerned about is what kind of corals you can put in...thats about it. =)

FYI: Skimmer removes DOC's before they go through the conversion by your biofiltering rocks. I think your tank is just clean is all =).

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store