10 gallon pauladarium question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Hi everyone.

I finially took the plunge and turned a 10 gallon tank into a paludarium! I am really happy as to how it came out.

On one side I have a pile of rocks in the water, with half of the rocks above water, with a waterfall going over them w/ moss growing on them.

Then I have a little trench type area in the middle where my fish go. Wild livebearers goodeids? And then the sand slopes up to rise above the water.

My question is about my current stocking.

As of right now I have one fire bellied toad, and I absolutely LOVE her.

Its really fun to feed her.

But my question is about the other inhabitant, my crayfish. It is th type of crayfish that is vegetarian, and clones themselves. I would like to add a couple more frogs and possible some newts. But I have read that newts would die by the ha/\/ds of a crayfish, but does this represent my vegetarian crayfish too?

Also, how many frogs and newts could I have in my tank? It has a whisper 10 in tank filter to act as the water fall, a 50 watt heater and plenty of water and land space.

Thanks

cam191919

AC Members
Apr 8, 2008
Tallahassee FL
what, no pics?

are you going to add fish?

the crayfish probably wouldn't attack it because its not food, but i could be wrong

about how much of this setup is water?

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
I have one fish, a goodeied livebearer about an inch long. Cherry shrimp, the cray and the frog.

I would say 4 gallons of water? About anyway.

I'll post pics later cam, thanks

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
be careful mixing newts and frogs/toads. the oils and residues on their skin can react with eachothers, a friend of mine put a fire belly toad and a fire belly newt in the same tank; they both developed a sort of rash and died shortly thereafter. the newt i know is toxic.

but picture? yes please :)

canucksfan1

AC Members
Feb 26, 2007
Gibsons, B.C.
i think you must be mistaken, the only crayfish that can produce offspring without a mate is Marmor(sp.) Krebs or the Marble Cray. It is not a vegetarian cray by any means I know as i owned roughly 400 of them at one time (they multiply incredibly fast started with one).

Anyway they will eat anything they can catch if they are hungry, and absolutly love shrimp pellets, mine in fact besides up-rooting alot of plants never really ate any of them, one little guy (about 1 maybe 1 1/2 inch did almost kill my 4 inch blood parrot luckily i caught it in time to save the fish)

But yeah just thought i would let you know that if u are correct with you species of cray you may be in some trouble.

luckydud13

Did you hear that?
Jun 20, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Well I dont have to worry about my cray, my toad killed him.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I would choose an amphibian and make it a single species tank. For the most part when you mix species you're asking for trouble unless you have the ability to make a large biotope enclosure.

kyryah

Getting my mojo back....
Feb 3, 2009
Michigan
tortnet.darchorizons.com
FBTs exude a toxin from their skin that will kill other animals, and potentially fish. If it is a larger area with really good filtration, and you do frequent water changes, then fish can be kept with FBTs, but.... The FBT is likely to eat any fish that you house with them.

If you are going to mix species you need much more than 10 gals of water, and a lot more research :D

That said, I have a mixed species viv and it can be done, but my viv is indigenous, and I made sure that the herps in it come from overlapping areas and do not prey on each other or transmit diseases.

Rule numero uno when mixing is to NEVER mix continents. Keep it all from the same home area.

Kristina

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store