Toadstool leather?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewReefKeeper

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I recently acquired what I believe to be a toadstool leather coral for my new reef tank and I have yet to see it open up completely and I'm wondering if there may be something wrong. I've had it for about a week and in that time it stays pretty closed up. Is this normal behavior for these guys? I've included a picture of how it spends pretty much all of it's time in the tank. My other corals include a finger leather, pipe organ polyps and star polyps.

coral4.jpg

egkid

AC Members
Jul 28, 2007
That looks more like a hand leahter coral to me. It doesn't look like it's dieing so I'd just let it be.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
^^ Agreed, a devil's hand leather. In any case, what kind of water movement do you have it in? Too little and it will be in a perpetual slump. The same applies to too much flow. Water parameters?

NewReefKeeper

AC Members
Apr 7, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I've got it placed mid to high in the tank and it's pretty centrally located. I have i'm running a Koralia #2 and a koralia nano on opposite sides of the tank, it's in between the two powerheads. Other water movement comes from the Penguin 350 filter and the out-take of both my protein skimmer and uv sterilizer. Water temp is right around 79-80, nitrates, nitrites, ammonia & phosphates all zero, salinity is 1.025. It does start to "slump" over from time to time then rights itself.

reefbumgm333

Reef Bum
Apr 19, 2009
Tulsa OK
Give it a little while, it does not appear to have any decaying areas on it so it is probably going through a longer shed than normal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store