Painting the back of tank black.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anoop

den stor.
Jan 29, 2009
NY
I've been wanting to paint the back and bottom of my tank black (bottom incase I go bare-bottom).

How and with what do you suggest I do this? Only thing that comes to mind is spray paint.

cguarino30

Random Guy
Mar 15, 2009
Spray paint would be fine. I'd recommend painting the outside, that way you have no risk of contaminating water once it's filled up, and if you decide you don't like it, it'll be really easy to just scrape off with a razor

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Krylon.......:)

irishspy

There is a stargate in my aquarium.
I just used a brush and a can of Rustoleum flat-black enamel. Didn't take long at all and looks great. :thm:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You can not see the bottom of tank, unless you look from the top. No need to paint that.

Sounguru

Guru at being an expert
I use Krylon Fusion once dry it is inert. Easy to spray and can even be used inside the aquarium on pipes etc.

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
I think he risk is not to the fish, but to getting the paint where you don't want it. spray paint goes everywhere and the dus will reduce visibiliy if you don' mask or seal off the rest of the tank. any latex paint will be easier to do and will provide the same color. I'd suggest a flat color for best adhesion. I mixed a little brown with black and got a nice velvety color on my new 20.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store