shrinking anemone

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dezaster

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2003
west virginia
Visit site
First of all, I have a 29 gallon with 2 damsel fish and 1 fire shrimp. Have had it up about 2 months. All parameters look good. Also, have 1 50/50 bulb.

I bought an anemone last night. LFS said it was an LTA but it looks and sounds like a Condy. Can anyone tell me how to tell them apart for sure.

It looked fine last night, but I got up in the middle of the night and it had went inside of its column. This morning it was out but it had shrank considerably. Could anyone tell me what is wrong. I thought it might be dead so I tried to remove it. However, it attached itself under a piece of rock and I couldn't get it off.

Any suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Anenomes are sensitive to changes in water and light, so it's right now adapting to your tank conditions. Pretty normal--don't mess with it, especially if it has already attached.

You may want to think about upgrading your lights. Anenomes do better in tanks with higher lighting levels. Also plan on feeding the anenome every 2-3 days with meaty foods like silversides, fish, crab meat, etc.

dezaster

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2003
west virginia
Visit site
thanks so much for the info. That makes me feel better. What kind of lighting do you suggest?. I bought the 50/50 for the tank because that it what the LFS said I needed if I was going to eventually get anemones or corals.

Also, I bought frozen prime reef for my fish. Can the anemone eat that too?

thanks so much!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
What kind of lights are you running? I would go with PC or MH at a minimum, then split the spectrum between actinic and 10,000K.

The Reef Prime should be good, but make sure to target feed the anenome an entire cube every 2-3 days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store