is there something wrong with my blackmoor?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
hi iv only had my tank for about 5months maximum,
init i have 2 fantails,2 blackmoors,a weather loach and 2 fish that i cant remember the name of as my partner picked them in the shop.

we started with one fantail that my partner had for about a year- then added the second one when we got the new tank and also added the loach.
all was fine with the tank and fish( as far as i know) until 2 weeks ago when i got the other 4 fish ,
one of my black moors has white spot- ive bought a treatment that still has 3 days to go before any results,but iv noticed since that the other black moor spends most of its time around the bottom of the tank- it doesnt come up for food, and i think its is having a bit of trouble swimming.now and again it will pop up to the near surface but i dont think ive seen it go right to the top!?
ive tried comparing the tails on the two moors and the one with white spot *the only way to tell them apart* seems to have a tail like a fantail only slightly different, where as the second one has one side the same as this and the other side seems to be 'bent' i tried to brush my hand past it to see if it was rigid or if the moor could 'flex' it but it seemed to feel 'hard' and no matter how the fish swims it doesnt seem to straighten up -
could the fish of broken its tail and it has healed arkwardly?!
i know i shouldnt be saying this as i already have the fish- but i really dont have a clue if or not its possible for this to of happened?!
id be really grateful if anyone could help me as i wont be able to take the moor to a pet shop at meast until monday and i dont want it to be in anymore discomfort than it needs to be if theres something i can do to help before then!

many thanks
nat x

NUMB3RS

AC Members
Mar 11, 2009
Welcome to AC! What is the size of the tank? What is the Brand Name of the product you are using to treat them for "white spots" also known as ich. I don't have all of the inofrmation until you answer those questions but I would take a guess and say it's the Dropsy Disease?!? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_Dropsy That is a good website on Dropsy. Does the fish look bloated? Good Luck!

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
hi thanks for the welcome! :D
ita an 80 litre tank and
its called protozin - the woman in the shop told me it was the best they had
it treats white spot and fungus
(does this mean 'body fungus' that fish can get?) as i was just reading about some one elses fish that was rubbing itself on the ornaments etc- and noticed that this fish i have was kind of lyining on its side and bouncing off the gravel on the bottom- it only did it twice though that i saw?***

but it really does look like the fish's tail is bent?!

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
i know before i used this product to treat white spot the moor seemed to be at the bottom alot?!
the other treatments i use are tetra aqua safe and nutrafin biological aquarium supplement if thats any further help?

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
also a little off topic- i just looked at the dropsy link you sent me- and the pic on the side looked like my partners fantail- we thought it was just a big/fat fish, could this be why ? but i dont understand if it is as i took it to the pet shop not so long ago with a problem and surely they would of spotted that the fish was rather large?! wouldnt they ?! i worked out that we've only had this tank for 3 and half months sorry! and i think it would of been 3months ago that i took the 'fat' fan tail to the pet shop!?

i have many confusing questions sorry ! x

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Hi newbie, welcome to AC! :welcome:

It's not likely that your fish broke its tail - this is highly unusual, as the thin bones that form the skeletal structure of the tail are very flexible. It's more likely that the fold in the tail fin is genetic and doesn't bother the fish.

Beyond that, you should know that the tank you have is much, much too small for the number of fish you are keeping in it. Shubunkins require at least 80 litres each, and fantails need about 60 litres each. Your tank is large enough for only one goldfish, maximum. They may be small now, but fantail goldfish can reach lengths of 25 cm, and shubunkins can exceed 40 cm! If goldfish are kept in a tank that is too small, they will become stunted, which can cause serious illness and premature death. So it is important for you to upgrade to a larger tank very soon. If you would like to keep all of your current fish, you will need at least a 375 litre aquarium.

As far as the illnesses go, your white spot treatment should work fine as long as you are heating the tank to 26 degrees Celsius. This accelerates the life cycle of the ich (white spot) parasite, making the medication much more effective. Without heating, it can take weeks to eradicate ich.

You mentioned that one of your fish looks as though it may have dropsy. Most fancy goldfish are round-bodied, which is totally normal. The key characteristic of dropsy is raised scales, so the fish will look like a pinecone. If the scales are flat against the skin, there is no need to worry.

Best of luck to you, and keep us updated on your fish! :)

Last edited:

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hi Newbie.. and welcome!!

Just wanted to add that as you continue this treatment for ich.. be sure there's plenty of aeration in the tank when you raise the temperature. Warmer water holds less oxygen, so it's a good idea to add another airstone to keep the water well oxygenated.

As Flaringshutter already mentioned, the higher temperature will speed up the ich parasite's lifecycle. You'll want to keep this treatment going continually for 10 days to complete the full treatment. And as this goes, it may appear to become worse for a few days, also. But that's a normal part of this, so don't let that worry you. It's just an indication that this is working.

We're real happy you've joined the site and look forward to hearing more about your fish. Let us know whatever questions you have along the way. We love to help out whenever we can.

Best of luck with the black moor!

Edit to add: I also wanted to add my agreement with Flaringshutter's assessment of your fish's tail. I can tell this is a big concern that you have... but it's quite common to see very young fry developing with minor physical conditions like this with the tail, as well as the spine. Looking at a lot of small goldfish, you do begin to notice curvature, possibly a slight swayback to the overall shape. This is not going to pose any real problems for your fish. They compensate for such irregularities very well.

Last edited:

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
iv not raised the temperature=- just added the treatment that i do on days 123&6
i think the fish with white spot seems to be getting better- i think lol

but as for teh tank size - its aprox 2 foot length,1.5 fott depth and 1.5 width- im unsure how many litres this is ?
is it still ok to keep the fish i have in this tank!?

newbiefishlover

AC Members
Apr 17, 2009
OK I WAS TOTTALY WRONG ON THE VOLUME OF MY TANK - I MEASURED IT BEFORE - THIS IS APROX MEASUREMENTS
127.43 LITRES WAS WHAT I GOT FROM THE CONVERSION - IS THIS ENOUGH ROOM FOR MY FISH?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store