URGENT: Shark's skin coming off/infected?? Help please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
MY SHARK IS DYING!

My paroon shark got bitten by some catfishes recently...First the wound was at the head, some skin coming off, then over the next few days, until now, the shark's head's skin is all coming off, exposing red/white lumps of flesh underneath, with large pieces of skin flapping/on the verge of coming off...

I have removed the fishes that bites him, but the wound seems to be getting worse and worse, PLEASE someone help and recommend any cures, to save this fish..

My tank is a 260L with a Golden Cichlid and another small shark. THe shark that is dying is around 1.5ft long...PLEASE help!

PS The shark is 10 years old...I really don't want it to die...

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I have never kept sharks, but I have dealt with flesh injuries. I am SO SO sorry you have to deal with this, it must be terrible to see him hurting.

Put your beloved shark in a tank to himself with no substrate. Set it up as a Hospital tank ASAP. If you dont already know, you want to add bio media from his original tank to the filter in the new one and add a mesh bag of substrate from his original tank to the tank itself. Set up the QT with 50-60% water from your original tank and the rest fresh, clean water. You will need to do 60-80% waterchanges DAILY- and I MEAN EVERY DAY. He needs SUPER clean water. Since this a quick set up, the regular water changes will also keep levels steady. (I can give you more detail if you have never done this before.)

I feel this is the best way to ensure a clean environment for his wounds to heal and will prevent infection. Someone else may have more to add to this, but I think the basic get him out and into a Hospital tank ASAP idea is sound, and something you need to look into.

Do you have a spare tank that will house him comfortably? The cichlid may be inclined to pick on his wounds. This may be why you see the peeling effect.

Again, SO sorry!!!

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
Okay, I have never done this before...And the cichlid DOES pick on his wounds...I've seen it pecking it...

So, the shark is 1.5 + ft in length, I don't think I have a spare tank, but I can move the small cichlid and the smaller paroon shark to a tub with air for a few days? Is that alright? So the shark will be alone in the 260 L tank...

What temperature does it have to be? I have no heater in the tank and it's around 27 degrees in there, maybe more, since the weather is hot...

red_wall

Whoosh! feel the onomatopoeia
Jun 15, 2008
SE Georgia
I agree 100% with Viva.
Also, I have never dealt with injuries (only deaths : / ) But I think I heard that aquarium salt speeds up the healing process. I'm not sure on the dosage, but some one else might.

* If that's your only option, then I think you may have to do it, or buy a tank divider to keep the shark separate from everyone else (give the shark more room to swim than the cichlids)

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
If I buy a tank divider, the water will still be shared with the golden cichlid and the smaller shark, so my question is: will they get sick IF I BUY specifit fungal/infection healing drops to treat the water?

Will those medications drops work with the water?

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
I agree 100% with Viva.
Also, I have never dealt with injuries (only deaths : / ) But I think I heard that aquarium salt speeds up the healing process. I'm not sure on the dosage, but some one else might.

* If that's your only option, then I think you may have to do it, or buy a tank divider to keep the shark separate from everyone else (give the shark more room to swim than the cichlids)
Viva's suggestions are right on. Clean water is the best way to go and the cichlid must be separated from him.

I will respectfully disagree with the salt suggestion; does not speed up healing and has no place in FW systems unless treating for certain protozoan infections (e.g. ich).

Best of luck; keep us updated.

DrNo

Overworked Member...
Jul 9, 2008
If I buy a tank divider, the water will still be shared with the golden cichlid and the smaller shark, so my question is: will they get sick IF I BUY specifit fungal/infection healing drops to treat the water?

Will those medications drops work with the water?
At this time, there is no reason to suspect an ingection/fungal proceess. The specimen has been physically beaten up and needs extra clean water. Make sure that all changed water is dechlored and temp matched (Prime is perfect). These kind of injuries CAN lead to infection/fungal infections but there is no reason to initiate treatment for a condition that is not yet present.

Danomind

AC Members
Jul 18, 2008
USA
Does the smaller paroon shark need to be separated too?

And I don't have another tank except one with 2 oscars in it, and the severum will probably get attacked if I place them in...So is a tub okay? Anyone with experience?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store