Peter's elephant nose

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
What a cool looking fish! I just met an elephant nose today at an lfs. I've been doing some research, and I believe, and would like to, offer this fish a home. The ethics of buying fish that are caught in the wild has been bugging me lately, but have read that these fish are now being bred in captivity. I realize that feeding must occur after dark in order for them to survive. The lfs has reccomended frozen blood worms. My only huge concern is substrate. I have a gravel bottom in my aquarium. Could I have a mixed bottom? Can I set up an area in part of the aquarium with a finner gravel, put in a "hollow log" so he can have a home patch to play in as he chooses?

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
What size tank and what fish are in there now?

marinkafuschia

AC Members
Oct 21, 2008
Olympia, WA
don't know much about these fish besides they are related to knifes and are awesome looking. This set up seems like it will work. good luck!

biggie357

AC Members
Dec 18, 2008
if they eat during the day, dont worry about making sure they are fed at night. do you have large gravel substrate? with gravel they stick their "nose" deep down in between the rocks. with sand, the dig through like cories. if you are going to be feeding them bloodworms i would *assume* that normal gravel substrate is fine.

yes you could have a mixed bottom, but beware that after a while its gunna look funky, unless you keep it nice and separated.

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Thanks. I think I'm gonna do it. The propriator of this lfs (private store, not a chain) seems knowledgable, and enthusiastic, so I'll be getting advise from him too. I read some related postings here that were very helpful.

altabc

Feb 8, 2009
Victoria, B.C. Canada
The gravel is quite large. Thanks for mentioning that they can stick their noses down between the pebbles. I was wondering about that. Good! Easier to keep clean, and these guys apparently like really clean water. (So do I)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store