open sore again!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
She had the same problem before, we believe she has a tumor as well as a few on here. well the other day, she had a open sore on her "hump" (tumor hump?) today it looks like its deaper and almost as if her "skin" is kind of peeling.
water change was two days ago. no amonia or anything. no new additions, no new decorations.
do tumors just open up like that?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I suppose they could, DooSPX. It may be putting some pressure on the skin surface from underneath. It might also be a localized pocket of infection that could clear up after breaking open. How long has this been going on? And does it appear to be getting larger?

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
It has gotten larger today, we noticed it sunday. just a little bit. it looks like its to the "meat" BUT the strangest thing is she is eating, playing, darting around like normal.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Doo, can you post any photos? This sounds like ulcer disease to me.
At the very least I would net the fish, perhaps anaesthetize with clove oil in a shallow tub and dab some bio-bandage or neosporin on the open wound. A wound that has made its way into the muscle of the fish is extremely dangerous and can easily get infected. Prevention is the key as far as that goes. But if you can, post photos first so we can get a good look at the wound.

caitylee

Yup....
Mar 12, 2008
Florida
He's a procrastinator but I will definitely make him take and post photo's when I get home.

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
here are some pics, sorry they are bad but she will not stay still. Like I said, its weird that she is acting fine. eating, darting around, playing with the other fish.

IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0179.JPG IMG_0180.JPG IMG_0182.JPG

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Oh, she's beautiful. Very sad to see this happening with her. I hope we can all come up with the right thing to help with her. I expect Flaringshutter or some of the others will know what to suggest. I wish I could offer something more useful, myself, but I'm still learning as I go along too. If that was happening with my fish, I'd be posting the same questions you have... just to be sure.

Like I said, its weird that she is acting fine. eating, darting around, playing with the other fish.
No.. this doesn't surprise me. At least, not anymore. That's just how goldfish are... they really don't show signs of distress to let us have very much to go on when they're diseased or wounded. I wish they did. That would make this a lot easier for us. By the time a dangerously sick goldfish shows changes in behavior, it's almost already too late to properly diagnose those signs and begin treatment. They're so happy, active, and playful all the time - even in bad conditions - that we really can't tell.

Thanks for getting the photos posted for us. That will help narrow this down a great deal. I'll keep watching... see what the others think about this too.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Yeah, that's pretty bad and I'm going to wager that it's a bacterial problem. I definitely recommend treating it manually, so a little anaesthetic to knock out the fish, some hydrogen peroxide or a 7.5% betadine solution to clean out the wound, and then bio-bandage or neosporin to protect and promote healing. Apply with a soft paper towel so you don't get q-tip or cotton ball threads in the wound.
It could be one of many bacterias, so I think the best bet for tank treatment is a Maracyn/Maracyn 2 regimen. Since they are broad-spectrum antibacterials, they should effectively deal with whatever bacteria is causing the problem.
You may want to isolate the affected fish in a quarantine tank or with a divider to keep the other fish from bothering the wound.
Best of luck! And if you need any further help or instructions as far as treatment, feel free to ask. I can provide details :)

You can read a little more about bacterial problems like the one I suspect your fish has here:
http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/Undergrad/Siegel/index.php
It's meant for scientist-types, but if you can decipher the jargon it's a good read.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store