I killed all my fish.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Let me start by saying: :swear:

To start: I was down to about 6 africans - 2 auratus, a bumblebee, 2 of the guys that look like the aurutus but are dark blue (cyano?) and an algea eater. I had more at one time but I had some agression issues that I wasn't able to control. Anyway I was doing my weekly water change yesterday and I stirred up quite a bit of sand and vacuumed pretty deep into the sand bed. I left the house for a few hours and when I came home, they were all dead except the algea eater. Any thoughts as to what happened?

I have about 3-4 inches of pool filter sand in the tank. It seems like I've read about gases building up in the sand? Did I stir up the gas with my deep vacuuming? Is there any way to prevent this? I'd like to restock (with less agressive species next time) but I'm afraid of this happening again...

BTW, the sand has been in the tank for about a year. Nitrate and nitrite levels are within parameters and pH is about 7.8.

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Let me start by saying: :swear:

To start: I was down to about 6 africans - 2 auratus, a bumblebee, 2 of the guys that look like the aurutus but are dark blue (cyano?) and an algea eater. I had more at one time but I had some agression issues that I wasn't able to control. Anyway I was doing my weekly water change yesterday and I stirred up quite a bit of sand and vacuumed pretty deep into the sand bed. I left the house for a few hours and when I came home, they were all dead except the algea eater. Any thoughts as to what happened?

I have about 3-4 inches of pool filter sand in the tank. It seems like I've read about gases building up in the sand? Did I stir up the gas with my deep vacuuming? Is there any way to prevent this? I'd like to restock (with less agressive species next time) but I'm afraid of this happening again...

BTW, the sand has been in the tank for about a year. Nitrate and nitrite levels are within parameters and pH is about 7.8.
Sorry to hear it! I find it hard to believe gas killed because your deep vacuuming should have off gassed any lethal levels. Anything else done differently?

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Sorry to hear it! I find it hard to believe gas killed because your deep vacuuming should have off gassed any lethal levels. Anything else done differently?
I didn't really do anything differently except stick the python deeper into the sand.

I don't know what the problem is, but all along, I've occasionally lost fish while doing water changes. Now I'm questioning whether I should restock or tear the tank down...

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
Malaysian trumpet snails (or something like that) they are snails, they breed like mad, they live in sand, and constantly stir it up.

hold on...i am in the chiclid forum....someone needs to stop by and tell me if chiclids would eat snails as a tasty snack...

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Definitely gas pockets in the sand that you're releasing when you gravel vac unevenly. Get some malaysian trumpet snails for that.

cschilly

AC Members
Jan 20, 2008
Taylorville, IL
Thanks guys... I guess this is how you learn. i guess at least now I don't have to worry about finding a home for the murderer who lived in my tank.

I think I'll take some of the sand out so it's not so deep and definitely get some snails.

I also think I'll try to stock the tank more simply this time. I'm leaning towards a demasoni colony and maybe some labs. These 2 species are fairly compatible aren't they?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store