CO2 for Paludarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Hi,

do you think CO2 fertilizing helps in a paludarium? In the waterpart it has its benifits for sure but i dont know if dart frogs for example dislike the CO2 that escapes from the water. Maybey the emerged plants do better as well when some CO2 escapes from the water.

Leo

Cowie

AC Members
Oct 12, 2008
you shouldnt CO2 your palu with frogs in it...very bad idea.

If the frogs were out of it though what you could do is get yourself some dry ice and some plastic beer cups. Put the dry ice in the cups and let the CO2 vapour that comes off the ice to fall into the tank from above until a nice thick blanket of CO2 is in the tank. This may even create a mushroom bloom which is really cool to look at.

This method will kill any critters you have in your tank though (this includes springtails and other inverts) so use at your on discretion

Chris

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
To answer your question simply, yes, aquatic plants would benefit from increased CO2 levels (remember, your water portion is essentially a small fish tank). You must consider surface agitation (i.e. airlines, waterfalls, etc) and the size of your pool on how much CO2 you should add(or if you can even add enough to keep up with how much dissipates).

For your setup however, I wouldn't bother. It is simply going to be more work than it is worth in my opinion. If you think you need some more C02, add a little surface agitation if you don't already. Other than that, your plants should do fine as long as you pick low-med light plants.

biggdadyapisto

AC Members
Mar 31, 2009
Florida
www.myspace.com
If you think you need some more C02, add a little surface agitation if you don't already. Other than that, your plants should do fine as long as you pick low-med light plants.

how does the adding of surface agitation add C02?
just wondering as all iv ever heard was that helps it escape.

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
I thought of a Bio-CO2 reaktor that works with sugar and what is it called, the backing powder Yeath i think. It would be put in the water with a Pafrath system. This means that only the amount of CO2 is added that can be solved in the water.

But for the sake of the Frogs.....i will look for more Information first. Or setup a second planted Tank so that i wont be bored in the mean time. Just having a hard job that my Lady allows me a second tank. I think something Nano like will be allowed in the near futere.

Leo

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
the air we breath contains both oxygen AND Co2... so if surface agitation adds oxygen-- then it also adds Co2

same concept... but I really dont know if it is enough diferance to make plants healthier or not

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
as far as i know surface water movement reduces the CO2 and increases the O2.

I just dont know how much CO2 escapes from the water if i bring it in with this Pfafrath system. There will be no bubbles escaping from the water and the ventilation in the landpart is good becouse there is a little fan in the cover. It is just the frogs that i am worried about. The CO2 reaktor is very very cheap and only needs maintainance once every 2/3 weeks.

LJB

AC Members
Apr 3, 2009
Ok, no CO2 in the Paludarium for the frogses sake. So i need another tank to test my ready Build DIY CO2 reaktor that never was aktive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store