pH 8.0/GH 50/KH 40 Planted Community Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Thankfully tank isn't cycled yet- so I have the option to change my plans... (although MTS are en-route to me- fortunately they can deal better with my very soft water than other snails can).

My grand vision for my tank had been: RCS, Various Snails, Danios, Kuhli (maybe horse faced after recommendations) Loaches, Maybe Corys

- but most snails and RCS won't like my water.

In doing a lot of research I've read a lot of conflicting advice.

"pH is important!
No pH isn't that important-
... it's whether it fluctuates-
... no that doesn't matter either they fluctuate a lot in the wild
it's the GH and KH that matter...
Don't try adjusting your GH/KH it only makes things worse!"

Naturally with all the conflicting advice I'm a little puzzled.

I don't want to have to keep playing with chemicals and altering this or that . I know if I play with chemicals there is always the chance I mess something up and put my critters into shock.

Yet at the same time- my water clearly isn't suited for any snail other than MTS- and I may have to give up on my desire for shrimp. It looks like Corys and Loaches might be happy.

So:
pH 8.0/GH 50/KH 40

Is it that bad?...

With a KH that low- I suspect that means I would need to be constantly changing the water (small ammounts frequently- more so than most people) or the Nitrate levels would make my pH swing?

There are always buffering blocks... but then- if I have buffering blocks and I clean my tank out- as I add new water from the tap (obviously treated water but still pre-buffered water) with low GH/KH- will that send my fish into shock?

I was already planning on plants- I guess with a low KH- this makes them even more important- I need something to take the Nitrates out the water with my low KH!

- Or am I just over analysing things and there is nothing to worry about? Sometimes researching something to death to make sure you're doing the right thing makes you less sure that you are.

All the species I want are hardy- that adds to their appeal to me (although not the only reason I want them).

Last edited:

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Will shrimp eat snail jello?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
Thats OK- I suggested someones Planaria might be baby shrimp earlier today! LOL

As it turns out though you're right- did some quick research and lots of people make snail jello for their shrimp.

So:

The solution to my problem is frequent small water changes... lots of plants- especially nitrate removing ones...

And the amazing Snail/Shrimp Jello.

Ahhh... thank you- now I can go to bed relieved! Still worried I might get fluctuations in pH- but I'll need to just watch that- at least I can still maybe keep shrimp/snails- at least my pH is OK and won't eat their exoskeletons.

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
If I have low KH- that will cause my pH to swing rapidly with very little nitrate.

At least... if everything I'm reading is true...

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
What are you using to test the water? Is your ph stable at 8.0, or does it fluctuate( without adding chemicals). I'm thinking your KH and GH readings are probably inaccurate.

coach_z

AC Members
Jan 12, 2009
NJ - Northern
Real Name
Chris
If I have low KH- that will cause my pH to swing rapidly with very little nitrate.

At least... if everything I'm reading is true...
i have never heard of nitrate levels causing ph swings. i have heard that low kh can cause ph swings with varying levels of co2

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
What are you using to test the water? Is your pH stable at 8.0, or does it fluctuate( without adding chemicals). I'm thinking your KH and GH readings are probably inaccurate.
I'm using an API test kit to test the water. Readings for all three values have been consistent for the last three days.

Day five of cycling- on had the GH/KH kit for the last three days of reading.

I have a stick on disk at the front which looks to me to read about a 7.8- has been thereabouts all 5 days. I don't really trust the disk's accuracy... still, it's good because if the colour on it does change it will alert me I need to check my water.

I've read about adding the crushed coral or cuttlebone-etc... but if I do that and raise my KH/GH in my tank- then whenever I do a big water change it would be a challenge not to shock the fish? Or can they handle it if I pour the water back in slowly throughout the day?

If Snails/Shrimp can get buy with me just feeding them a lot of calcium- I'll do that. I did want to get a couple of briggs- but am hesitant with my water being what it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store