Tire Track Eel

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
So I was at the LFS today.. and my fish guy Vincent FINALLY got a tire track Eel in stock... he is about 7" long and I have been wanting one for a long time.

So I picked him up... and at a decent deal-- only $19

I know these get large, and I know that they can be difficult to keep-- but I have done extensive research and this one happens to be eating frozen food which is nice.

He is going in my new 55g as soon as it cycles (for now.. he will need an upgrade later on-- I have a 120g sitting empty)

Right now he is chillin with my Mbuna... waiting for his tank to cycle

I WILL POST PICS AS SOON AS HE COMES OUT OF THE SUBSTRATE... lol

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
dangit.. he came out just long enough for me to see him-- but when I grabbed the camera he was gone

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Ha ha. He's gonna do a lot of that. Get used to it. I had one in a 55. I was sure he was dead when I hadn't seen him in MONTHS. Turned out he lived inside one of my decorations. He mus thave come out to eat at night. When I pulled it out to redecorate, all of a sudden this monster slimy fish fell out onto the floor- SMACK- scared the bejesus outta me. He was trying to wiggle under the couch and was making a good go of it when I finaly got him in the net- forget trying to get him in bare hands- like catching a greased pig... Keep am eye on him, because once he can find a good place to chill- you may not see him again for a while

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
ok ill keep that in mind

how long did yours last in the 55g before he needed a bigger home?

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Tiretracks are the fastest growing spiney eel. If he's at 7" now you probably have 6 months to a year depending on how fast he grows. The thing to keep in mind is if a spiney eel is uncomfortable with his surroundings (IE no hiding spot, tank too small, etc) they will typically start hiding in your filter (if you use a HOB). While this doesn't hurt them sometimes they have trouble getting back into the tank and end up on the floor.

But to answer your question he should be fine in the 55g until he's around 10-12". They are very flexible.. but bigger is always better.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
Tiretracks are the fastest growing spiney eel. If he's at 7" now you probably have 6 months to a year depending on how fast he grows. The thing to keep in mind is if a spiney eel is uncomfortable with his surroundings (IE no hiding spot, tank too small, etc) they will typically start hiding in your filter (if you use a HOB). While this doesn't hurt them sometimes they have trouble getting back into the tank and end up on the floor.

But to answer your question he should be fine in the 55g until he's around 10-12". They are very flexible.. but bigger is always better.

yeah I have heard of this happening as well... my tank and filters are all fairly well sealed.. if he did manage to get under my bio-wheels I really dont think he would be able to get out of the filter onto the floor... but I will keep my eye out anyway

he seems a bit stressed-- hasnt came out much since I got him-- but I have checked on him periodically and he is alive and seems healthy.. just scared

he hasnt touched his breakfast (a guppy).. but I will leave him alone for a couple days and he should be fine

btw.. he is in his own 55g as of now.. I put two pre-cycled filters on it and I am closely monitoring the levels in case it mini-cycles

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
lol-- you called it

I found him in the filter this morning

I dont know why he wants to go in there though-- there is plenty of hiding spots in the tank

Mudfrog

AC Members
Jan 17, 2005
Roanoke, VA
What type of hiding spots are you giving him? They like tight caves.. PVC pipe works well. Try to block off the entrance to the filter if possible.

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
What type of hiding spots are you giving him? They like tight caves.. PVC pipe works well. Try to block off the entrance to the filter if possible.
he has an upside down piece of bark kinda like a cave... he also had a flat rock that he can go under.. and hollow rock that is pretty tight

He hasnt done this again since that one time... having a bit of trouble getting him to eat though

think im gonna try some live blackworms tomorrow

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store