Well here we go...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Well I started cleaning everything up yesterday. Got all the stuff I was given cleaned up, and most of the silicon removed. Just enough there to hold them together. Im going to use the two 10 gallon tanks glass to build my sump outta the 25 gallon. If anyone knows the model or name of either of the two skimmers let me know please. I know they are both RO, but I cant find specs on them. And how the hell do you get old coraline off?

what Im building

What Im using

Skimmers

new tank water check

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They are the old Reef Octopus models. No clue what they are anymore. I'm sure you can find them. They still make the equivalents, they just don't use those stickers anymore.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
To get the old coralline off, try soaking them in a moderate white vinegar - water solution. If you can run the skimmers so the solution is circulating in them, they'll likely clean up more easily and quickly. Anything that doesn't come off on it's own during the soaking can usually be cleaned off with a toothbrush and a little scrubbing.

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
hey i can do that!

Phatboydime

AC Members
Dec 22, 2008
Changed the design of the sump to eliminate one baffle, and just plain work better. Overflow will dump in same chamber as skimmer, water will flow over to fuge, which will have an eggcrate top to keep things in, and go through the btrap to the return.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Just a suggestion...
If you're planning on sand in the refugium area (kind of guessing so from the diagram), there's really not much need for it. Even if you wanted to put a DSB in there, it's such a small area / volume of sand that it's not going to provide a noticeable impact in terms of anaerobic bacteria breaking down nitrates.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
On the above note, does anyone have a link to information on how big (LxW wise) of a DSB is needed for XX gallons of water to be "effective"? That is a question I have always had myself and never could find the answer. There are people with 200G tanks and use a 5G bucket with a 6" RDSB and swear it works great for them, but I always questioned if that would really be enough volume to work in that large of a tank.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've seen just a few recommended sizes in different places, of course in places that I can't seem to find links for at the moment (links hopefully saved on the home computer). But, if I recall correctly, the tendancy is for the smallest effective area to be around 600 square inches when a mimimum recommended size is mentioned. This value should definitely go up as total system volume goes up, although I'm not aware of anyplace that says exactly how big a DSB should be for a system of x gallons.

Here's a link I found that goes into it a little:
DSB FAQ
There's also some info on WWM that talks about DSB size, but there's general recommendations there that some DSB is better than no DSB if someone wants a DSB.

I guess it's a matter of what each person wants in order for it to be effective. Any size DSB will support a certain number and type of sand bed critters, but I find it very hard to believe that a DSB that's a part of an average sump / refugium combination (where the refugium is at most 1/2 of the total sump and the sump is around 1/3 of the display tank volume) can eliminate nitrate issues in the average system with a moderate bio-load. It's my experience from working in a lab where others were testing nitrate to N2 gas conversion rate potentials in marine sediments that the process is slow. It's not something that's measured in a few hours, it's more on the order of a few days. The slower the process, the more surface area that is needed to ultimately control nitrate levels and keep them at 0 ppm. This is why I believe a DSB as a refugium chamber in a sump like the one pictured above has little benefits in terms of completely eliminating nitrates. I could certainly be wrong about this, but I haven't seen enough info to convince me that I am. I'd honestly love to be proven wrong -- it would help save me a ton a money on sand.

I run a 5g bucket RDSB on a 50g and it works great, but it's my understanding that each 5g RDSB can handle around 100 - 150g. I wouldn't think that one would be completely effective on a 200g, but if it's lightly stocked and not overfed, I suppose it's possible.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Remote Deep Sand Bed, one example a lot of people do is filling a 5G bucket 1/3 way with sand, put a bulkhead towards the top of the bucket with plumbing back into your sump, and T off your overflow pipe with a valve on the RDSB side so you can trickle a little water into the bucket, once it fills up and starts to overflow out the bulkhead it will continue its path into your sump. Kind of a little "detour" on your overflow water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store