Stocking ideas for 65, 55, 20's, and 10

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
I have many tanks with no fish and eventually I want to stock them but I'm not sure if my plans are over or under stocking. so just let me know if it's over or under stocked, if the fish aren't compatible, if certain fish would be better in other tanks, recommend numbers, etc :)

65gal- After I set up this tank I'll have 6 common/comet goldfish (3-4 inches long), 1 Ryukin goldfish (2 in.), and 2 plecos (3-6 in.) (these are fish I already have) but the plecos will move into a bigger tank when they get older and the commons/comets will move into my pond. When will they outgrow the tank?
When they do I'll have:
6 fancy goldfish (2 veiltails, 2 ryukins, oranda, black moors), 3-5 clown loaches, and 3 small plecos (5 inches or under). I know the clowns and plecos are tropical and goldfish aren't but the tank will stay around 70-75 year round without any heater since I live in a warm area. Do plecos and loaches need warmer than that?

55gal- 1 angelfish, 8 corydoras, 6 marbled hatchetfish, 18 tetras (ones that get around 2 inches). Is this okay? Will the angel eat/harass the tetras, hatchetfish?

40gal- 1 convict cichlid, 6 tiger barbs, 2 cherry barbs, 1 German blue/gold ram, 1 krib

20 gal- sorority of at least 10 female bettas

20gal- 3 kuhli loaches, mollies, swordtails

10 gal- Dwarf crayfish (dunno how many I should have), a trio of honey gouramis (2 females, 1 male), some sparkling gouarmis (again, don't know how many)

10 gal- Guppies and dwarf rasboras

10gal-at least 6 small tetras, about 3 platys, 3 otos

10gal-6 zebra danios and 6 glofish.

which tank would glass catfish be best in? Someone gave me two on the 19th along with a pleco and either a neon or cardinal (can't tell the difference) and I know that they need at last 6 in a group and grow to 6 inches. Could I put them in the 55g and have less tetras to make up for adding them?

Note: all my tanks will have good filtration (my 65 has a great wet/dry filtration that will be perfect for messy fish like golds and plecos) and they'll all have tons of live plants and plenty of hiding spots for fish. Also, I know guppies, platys, mollies, etc breed a lot but the other fish will probably eat them and I was planning on having an outdoor kiddie pool "pond" for "extra" fish (the kiddie pool would be in a shady area, buried in the ground, the top have a screen, plants that require low lighting like java fern, and I'd have to find someplace to house them indoors in winter)

majortank

Do you like fishsticks?
Jul 16, 2008
DC
Sounds like a lot of goldfish for a 65, no? I don't know mcuh about them but I would think that would be way overstocked. 12 goldfish? Also, water temps for Goldfish and loaches are different. That tank would not work IMO.

3 honey gouramis and "some sparkling gouramis" in a 10g is definitely overstocked. One honey in a 10g and a small school is ok.

Some swordtails get pretty long, 20gal may be too small.

GusBus27

AC Members
Feb 16, 2008
I don't know if I would trust the convict with the ram...

I've kept plecos in 72-76 degree water without problems...

Can't really help on the community tanks... good luck

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Not 12 goldfish, the 6 commons/comets and ryukin goldfish while they're small, when they outgrow that tank the commons/comets will go in my pond and I'll leave the Ryukin in there and get 5 other fancy goldfish. The plecos will move out when they get too large as well. If I do get Clown loaches, same goes for them, they get upgraded when they get too large for the tank (and they're slow growers, so I read they should be fine in a 65g for about 4 years).

Really? I read a trio of honey gouramis is recommended for a 10g.

Yeah, I thought that might be a problem. they grow to about 4 inches, right?

I don't know if I would trust the convict with the ram...
True, maybe I'll skip the ram or not have it in the 55g. rams are like 2inches and much more peaceful than the others I listed for that tank, so a ram probably wouldn't do well with them.

Last edited:

Blitzkrieger

AC Members
Apr 13, 2009
North Little Rock Ar
Not 12 goldfish, the 6 commons/comets and ryukin goldfish while they're small, when they outgrow that tank the commons/comets will go in my pond
What kind of a pond are you talking about? Depending on your pond type, it is illegal to dump them.

Realistically, you should get fish for your aquariums that you plan on keeping in your aquarium. It is similar to buying a pony to live with you in the city, sure a pony may be cute to start off with and fit just fine in your back yard, but are you going to go out to the local state park and release him when it gets to big?

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
What kind of a pond are you talking about? Depending on your pond type, it is illegal to dump them.

Realistically, you should get fish for your aquariums that you plan on keeping in your aquarium. It is similar to buying a pony to live with you in the city, sure a pony may be cute to start off with and fit just fine in your back yard, but are you going to go out to the local state park and release him when it gets to big?
No, of course not. I'd never dump my pets. The pond is in my backyard (it's mine) and doesn't go into any sort of waterway. My parents might not let me put them in there though because they're afraid a heron might come and eat them or something, which is possible... So if I can't do that I'll make a pond that will fit all 6 of the commons/comets and put a screening/aviary netting type thing over it. I already have the 6 commons/comets and the ryukin too, they aren't fish I'm planning to get.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
This is my new revised list. I think it would work better.

10g- 4 sparkling gouarmis (3 females, 1 male), 3 otos
10g-6 neon/cardinals, 6 glass catfish
10g-2 German blue/gold rams, 6 tetras, 1 honey gouarmi,
10g-Guppies, spotted rasboras, white cloud minnows
20g- 6 cherry barbs, 1 pearl gourami, 3 kuhli loaches
20g-sorority of at least 10 female bettas
40g- platys, swordtails, 1 krib, 6 zebra danios, 6 glofish, 6 cories
55g-1 angel, 12 tiger barbs, 1 rainbow shark, 1 red tailed shark
65g-Now: 6 comets/commons, 1 ryukin, 2 plecos. Those are fish I have now. The commons/comets and the plecos will eventually outgrow the tank of course (right now the golds are 2-4 inches and the plecos 3-6 inches) the golds will go out to my pond and the plecos upgraded to larger tank when they get too big) so after they do I was thinking 6 fancy goldfish (1 black moor, 1 oranda, 2 ryukins, 1 veiltail, 1 pearlscale) and I wanted 3-5 clown loaches. I know the clowns will outgrow the tank (though that'll take like 4 years I read) but I can upgrade them and I know that clowns are tropical and goldfish are coldwater but my unheated tanks will stay 70-77 F year round (Right now they're 76 F).

I will probably add shrimp and/or snails to any of the ones where the fish won't eat the shrimp/snails, like the 10's & 40. I'm not sure about the others. I have no idea how the fish I planned for the 55 would react to shrimp/snails and I know loaches and bettas like to eat shrimp.

I don't suppose mollies and 1 convict cichlid would go in any of these tanks? I like them, but they don't seem to work with any of these. I read that mollies are fin nippers and convicts are kind of aggressive.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
clown loaches like to chase and gently nip each others tails. in my experience they will stress the goldies out and probably tear their tail fins

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Hi Sawyer! Welcome to the hobby. I'm glad you've joined us and hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us do.

You're asking such great questions in this thread. Glad to see another newcomer who's willing to take the time and effort to thoroughly research and plan for the tanks and fish's care before getting them. Bravo!

You're so lucky you have a place for a nice pond setup. I'm envious! Since you're asking for specific info about goldfish care, I thought I'd direct you to our Cold/Temperate Water Forum. We have many very knowledgeable members contributing to this topic of goldfish keeping. If you'd like to post a separate thread in that section, more of our goldfish experts will see this and be able to share the expertise they have to offer. You'll find that forum here: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26.

In the meantime, I thought I'd pull out the goldfish questions you've asked here and give you some general info relating to them.

First, the different types of goldfish we keep are all the same species, descending from the same common carp. This is similar to dogs being of the same species with vast differences between one type (or breed) and another. Also like dogs, different goldfish "breeds" are identified by their physical characteristics; i.e., size, body type, finnage, and other specific distinctions. And each of these types have certain care requirements.
Pond fish - Comets, commons, wakins, shubunkins... are the largest goldfish with long, slender body types that grow to approx 12-18 inches in length. These are primarly bred for pond environments but can also be kept in aquariums. Requires a minimum of 20 gallons of water per fish.

Fancies - Orandas, ryukins, lionheads, ranchu... smaller goldfish with rounded, egg-shaped bodies that grow to approx. 10 inches in length. These fish need a minimum of 15 gallons per fish.

Special needs - Pearlscales, telescopes, celestials, tosakins... also considered "fancy" varieties but have been specifically bred for certain physical features (deformities) which make them much more fragile and vulnerable; i.e., delicate rounded scales, bulging or upturned eyes, and so on. These fish should only be kept with other goldfish of the same type for their own protection and should not be mixed with larger, faster, more boisterous pond fish or fancies.
Having all this out of the way, I'll get back to the 65 gallon tank setup and outdoor pond option you were asking about.

I have many tanks with no fish and eventually I want to stock them but I'm not sure if my plans are over or under stocking. so just let me know if it's over or under stocked, if the fish aren't compatible, if certain fish would be better in other tanks, recommend numbers, etc

65gal- After I set up this tank I'll have 6 common/comet goldfish (3-4 inches long), 1 Ryukin goldfish (2 in.), and 2 plecos (3-6 in.) (these are fish I already have) but the plecos will move into a bigger tank when they get older and the commons/comets will move into my pond. When will they outgrow the tank?

When they do I'll have:
6 fancy goldfish (2 veiltails, 2 ryukins, oranda, black moors), 3-5 clown loaches, and 3 small plecos (5 inches or under). I know the clowns and plecos are tropical and goldfish aren't but the tank will stay around 70-75 year round without any heater since I live in a warm area.

Note: all my tanks will have good filtration (my 65 has a great wet/dry filtration that will be perfect for messy fish like golds and plecos) and they'll all have tons of live plants and plenty of hiding spots for fish.
We need to stop already at the point where you list the 6 commons and comet goldfish that are already 3-4 inches long. These 6 fish at that size have already outgrown your 65 gallon tank and should be moved immediately to a pond setting or at least a 100-120 gallon tank if kept indoors. I realize they still seem very small now, but the volume of water they need to continue growing and developing normally in healthy condition, requires this. If they are kept in a smaller 65 gallon tank any longer, they will naturally produce a chemical which will stunt their natural rate of growth and seriously weaken their immune system -- risking a wide range of diseases that can lead to premature death, and drastically shortening their potential lifespan. If given the full 20 gallons per fish volume/space and proper care NOW, each of these fish will more than double in length, reaching approx. 8-10 inches within the next 6 months. Your 65 gallon tank can safely house only 3 of these goldfish at their present size.

The 6 fancies you intend to keep together would need 15 gallons of water per fish, thus requiring a minimum tank size of 90 gallons or more. Your 65 gallon tank would work well for only 4 fancy type goldfish.

The clown loaches and plecos are not compatible with goldfish at all. This has already been mentioned about the loaches in this thread. For more information about goldfish-pleco incompatibility, I'll add here the information I posted recently which explains why.

Plecos should never be kept in the same tank with goldfish for several specific reasons...

Aside from (#1) their natural taste for the slime coat produced by high bodied fish, like goldfish, they also (#2) need vastly different tank setups.. tropical conditions vs. coldwater/temperate conditions.

(#3) Competition for food becomes a big problem, as well, for the much less gregarious pleco living in the same tank with such active, boisterous goldfish. Goldfish are omnivores who are constantly looking for leftover bits of food -- which is the same as that needed by the pleco. This makes it a constant challenge to keep a pleco well fed in the same tank.

Most importantly, goldfish are still a pond fish species despite the fact that we keep them in aquariums. They are much more prone to problems of parasitic infestation/illness because of this.... goldfish are also more susceptible to illnesses/disease resulting from their unique digestive limitations. Invariably, when the need for medication arises for the welfare and good health of the goldfish, (#4) plecos cannot tolerate the same medications and dosages needed for treatment.

Needing to keep the water clean and water parameters stable in goldfish tanks is also a major consideration, as (#5) both goldfish and plecos produce an inordinately high level of waste. Adding a pleco to an already heavy bioload makes it that much more difficult to maintain the good water quality conditions necessary to prevent sickness, disease, parasites, and other common health problems for the goldfish.
If you'd like to browse through the entire thread for the discussion we had about this a week or so ago, you'll find that in our coldwater section by following the link below.
Subject: "Death Trap"
Link to full thread: http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191001
The recommendations I have to give you about these goldfish may seem disappointing. But if you're willing to spend some time browsing through the last one/two dozen threads posted by our members in the coldwater forum, you will quickly understand why this is so important. We have many threads there describing an assortment of very serious, life-threatening health problems which resulted from keeping goldfish in tanks that are too small for too long a period of time.

Please look into this further as you consider realistic options for the fish you want to keep. Our experienced members who keep goldfish have already learned to avoid making the same very common mistakes - the hard way. And our beginning goldfish keepers are going through a lot of anguish trying to treat and care for sick and dying fish they have, simply because no one was there to give them the proper advice and warn them about these problems ahead of time.

Sawyer

AC Members
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks for all the info, I didn't realize keeping them all in the 65g for now could be dangerous to their health and cause them to not grow properly. For the 6 commons/comets, how many gallons do they need when full grown? I'm considering making a pond for them to stay in their whole life, instead of putting them in my "big pond". That way, if I made them their own pond, I could put netting over it to make sure nothing ever happens to them. For now, I can put them in a large kiddie pool (sink the kiddie pool into the ground in a shady area and put netting over it). I'm sure I could find at least 100 gallon kiddie pool..

I hope the goldfish aren't already stunted or unhealthy. I adopted them from someone keeping them in a 5g and 2.5g with a bunch of other fish and I have no idea how long they were in those small tanks.

Are clown loaches and plecos compatible?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store