Moving in one week, I've never moved a tank before!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
I'm moving about thirty miles away and was wondering what the safest way to transfer fish would be. I have a 29 gallon tank and was thinking about emptying around half the tank water and all decorations, saving the water, and moving the tank with the fish still inside. Once home, slowly adding the saved aquarium water making sure the water temperature is consistent.

Will my tank crack?
Will my fish survive?
Will my fish ever forgive me?

I do have a 10 gallon tank that I could transfer the fish to. I could move the tank and then the fish later if it's a better option. I can't imagine seeing my tropical fish with my goldfish in that tiny tank but the temperature range is close enough that it'd due. It would be like Thunderdome in there!

Last edited:

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
This is what I have done..

Drain the tank into a cooler.
Put the fish in the cooler.
leave only enouigh water in the tank to cover the substrate.
Transport and set up in new location ASAP.
Keep your filter media in the water in the tank.

Since it os only 30 Miles, you shouldnt have any problems doing this.
dont take any more time doing this than necessary...

Be sure to test your new tap water before you put in your tank.
check for chlorine if you arent sure. If necessary take water from your old place to fill the tank...

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
good advice

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
and make sure that the aquarium is the last thing you take down and move and the very first thing you set up at the new place.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
I personally would get a rubber maid and a converter. Throw the fish and filter in the rubber maid, plug filters into the converter and power it up. Mobile fish. If I ever move it wont be more than 7 miles so I would just put them in a rubbermaid, fill the tank with water and drop them back in.

BagelDog

AC Members
Apr 21, 2009
Montana
Thanks for the advice. I'll probably move the fish in the cooler without the converter and filter setup but I really like the idea of the mobile fish tank. :)

I should have mentioned this earlier but I have a fresh batch of Firemouth Cichlid fry in my tank too. (Bad timing, I know but when do people plan having kids any more in this day and age.) Should I leave a bit more water in the tank and keep the parents and fry in the tank while transporting?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store