Have 2 angels and a severum.. can i get more fish in my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeffd1979

AC Members
Nov 18, 2003
charlotte nc
Visit site
I have 2 angels and 1 sevrum in my 37 gallon tank... Is it ok to put any more in there... I herd the sevurms like to be in pairs... Is he going to be ok by himself or should i get another?

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I'm sure others can fill you in on this question all I can say is that there are many fish you "could" keep but the better question is what fish can I keep that the angels won't eat or at least nip at! :p Some say they do, some disagree...

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Actually, severum get big so it probably isn't a good tank mate for your angels. If you got another severum and formed a pair they would definitely kill the angels. If you keep him as a single specimen with the angels, and the angels decide to pair, then the angels will probably kill the severum. Personally I would just keep the one pair of angels in a 37. If you want other fish I would trade in the severum for something more compatible with your angels, such as a pleco that stays at a small size (like a bristlenose). You could also consider a small group of a 2-3" fish such as corydoras or rainbowfish.

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Some dwarf cichlid species would also go nicely in place of the severum.

Jeffd1979

AC Members
Nov 18, 2003
charlotte nc
Visit site
Well that stinks.. i really like the severum and my fiance likes the angels... If i bought a 90 gallon tank would that be enough room for all of them to live peacefully together?

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
I'm not sure it would be enough if you had a mated pair of severum... I'd just keep the 1 severum or choose a mated pair of smaller cichlids. The severum shouldn't be too violent as long as it doesn't have a mate. If you do decide to try both pairs in a 90, be sure to watch them carefully and remove one of them if they start getting too aggressive.

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
If you had adequete space then it would safe, but not in 37g.
Angels as a whole tend to be aggressive in nature, though not all AS aggressive as others (just like most cichlids).

Jeffd1979

AC Members
Nov 18, 2003
charlotte nc
Visit site
the Severum is still very small.. size of a quarter and the 2 angels are still pretty small as well.... They get along fine now... the angels accually pick at eachother.. the severum and angels never pick... How long do i have before they need to be transfered to a bigger tank? Like a month or a year???? I don't plan on getting any more fish in the 37 gallon... just these 3.

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Probably about 2 months then. It basically depends on when the fish start harassing each other too much and when the severum starts getting larger. You could get other fish to go with them if you get a 90 gallon, some people have luck with similarly sized/similarly aggressive fish, but I personally have had better luck with fish that don't look similar or swim in the same areas such as small plecos or upside down catfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store