emaciated newt

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vombatus

AC Members
I got a pair of Chinese firebelly newts recently, and one of them has been losing weight. Today I separated them in case the healthier one is bullying him, but it appears the skinny guy just isn't eating. He also has the white fuzz on one hand; I don't know if it's from a wound or it's fungal. Is there anything I can do to try and save him?

Btw, my water temp mostly stays in the high 60s-low 70s. (I don't use a heater. The store kept them toasty warm and swears that's the way to do it, but I trust the internets on this one.)

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Keeping the newt cool and giving it a chance to build back it's immune system is the first step. Make sure that the water stays cool and is very clean. You can also give your newt brief salt baths for about 15 mintues twice a day if it is indeed fungus.

I would give the sick newt a change to eat some live prey. You can try pinhead crickets, flightless fruit flies, blood worms, chopped up earth worms and any other small live prey you can come across.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store