First Canister Filter - Lovin' it

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Well, as part of the quid pro quo that is tax refund season around our house, I was fortunate enough not only to talk the Mrs. into letting me buy a new lighting system but also a new canister filter. I was pretty happy with the aquaclear 30 HOB, but the water stayed pretty cloudy (after adding play sand) and it was a wee bit on the noisy side (meaning you could kinda hear it). The main problem with it was that I constantly had to disassemble and clean because of all of the duck weed and hornwort.

SO... I picked up a Fluval 205 canister filter. I know it is not the best out there, but for $119 I am very happy with it. Very quite and has four different trays into which different types of filter media can be placed. As tradition I put one packet of carbon in (that will be replaced with the prefilter cylinders soon. then filled the next two with the bio media mixed with my old biomedia from my other filter. In the last section I placed one of the water polishers (never used one before so i thought I would give it a try).

Took out the power head entirely so no UGF. But the new filter runs on 9w. Whereas the old filter was 9w plus I was runnign the power filter. So this new set up is also more economical and greener. Plus, the water looks much better already (may be rationalization, but I don't care... I like the filter hahah).

Just had to share. My wife could care less about these things... so I thought I would share with folks that might actually appreciate it. hahaha.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
lol, thats like my sig other, he could care less as long as the fish pay attention to him when he's in front of the tanks.

IMO, you might still want to run 2 filters on the tank, just in case one konks out, then you aren't sitting with a giant fishbowl with no filtration. what size is this tank?

jenazen69

AC Members
Jun 19, 2004
buffalo, NY
msn.com
hey I am a wife who has a hubby like your wife. He couldn't care less as long as his tank is doing good. Course as soon as the fish are doing something weird it's" Honey check my water. Look what that fish is doing. What should I do?" I have been thinking of doing the canister filters too, but so far I have resisted. I guess I just like the gotta go gotta go gotta go right now feeling in the morning when I wake up to the sound of my filters.

DSR

AC Members
Apr 10, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Bettafishmommy, I have a spare filter from when we were given the tank that I can use as a backup in the event this one conks out. I have also left the plates intact for the UGF and still have the ph in case of an emergency. But I so love the quite!!!! I really didn't think that a canister would be that much on an improvement, but even my wife has noticed that the quality of the water is exceptional. THis AM it was full of sediment. Now it just has some microbubbles.

And... for those of you who suggested that the 10000k would increase algea growth...um, you were right. First time I have noticed it was today after a water change. Will stay with it and keep it clean. Just glad to know that things are going relatively well with only one age related fish death and two pre-existing fungal things. Knock on drift wood, I think my tank has cycled.

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
good to hear you have a spare at the ready, but having it sit dry in the cupboard means it's not chock full of the good nitrifying bacteria that your tank needs to stay cycled. that's why i always run two filters minimum on all my tanks these days.

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
its always good to have spare equipment. just picked up 2 used canister filters for $60 :D

BettaFishMommy

Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
just thought of the ugf you have still in place but not running. wouldn't it get a rather big buildup of gunk, since said gunk is normally filtered through? or does your gravel vac have the strength to suck the gunk up through all the substrate and the ugf plate?

if not, the gunk buildup could be actually hindering your water quality, i would think.

and inkyjenn, wow, good deal! i also have a spare filter or two kicking around in the cupboard, in addition to the two i run on each tank :thm:

inkyjenn

AC Members
Jun 15, 2008
southern california
one of the new (used) canisters will be replacing an AC110 on my bf's 75. then we have one canister and 2 AC110s as spares.

(and with the way we have been acquiring tanks were going to need them!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store