Anemone weirdness

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
A little background for you before I get to the point.

I knew someone who worked at a pet shop, they got an anemone in that they swore was going to die, it was pure white and just pathetic. So I took it and managed to apparently nurse it back to health with direct feedings and not much knowledge at all! I think a bit of luck was involved in this.

So I came home last night and my anemone was all torn in half looking and I was about ready to tear the tank apart finding my monster emerald crab (his shell is seriously about 3" across...) and throw him in a pot of boiling water because he is always picking on my corals. Shoving them off of rocks and such. I figured somehow he tore apart the anemone.

After watching the anemone and seeing it still moving and all I watched as this thing split its self fully in half and then the two halves curled onto themselves and I am guessing they are going to heal themselves together now.

My question is this. I have never had an anemone split on me, my wife is excited as can be but I have concerns for later it is only a 16g nano tank lol. Are there any extra things I need to watch for in order to make sure this crazy thing heals up? I dont need him dieing and nuking my tank...

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Keeping things normal and consistent will work just fine. Give it a while and see how it does. Theoretically, the two halves should recover just fine. What does concern me is why it split. I assume you have Entacmea quadricolor, correct? These anemones can and will split for reproduction, but also in times of stress. I just want to make sure it isn't an instance of the latter.

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
It is indeed the Entacmea quadricolor. not much has changed in the tank in the past few weeks for it to be stressed really. Just typical routine that it would be more than used to by now.

davocean

AC Members
Nov 18, 2009
San Diego CA
Just the fact that it's in a 16g tank and hard to keep that size tank perfectly stable as params go could be stress enough to make it split.
Specs would help.
And yes, this is very common w/ BTAs, and most commonly caused by stress of some sort, but not always.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store