Welcome to the Disease Forum--READ THIS FIRST!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
Okay, suddenly your fish starts acting strangely or has some strange spots, lesions, etc. Before panicking and leaving a frantic post, please look into composing it with as many details as possible. These include the following:

• Water parameters and setup-- i.e. pH, salinity/specific gravity, ammonia, nitrate, temperature, etc. Tank size, equipment like heaters, protein skimmers, powerheads, water change schedule, etc.

• Any recent changes or alterations to the system, like new fish additions, filter additions, chemical additions, etc.?

• List of all livestock

• Do you quarantine your fish?

• What foods and how often do you feed your fish?

• Detailed description of the problem you are seeing

• Photographs are your friend--a good photo, as the saying goes, is worth a thousand words. Actually seeing what is happening to the animal can make a huge difference.

• What steps, if any, have you taken to treat the animal?
Thanks for reading and we hope that this will help everyone construct the most informative and accurate questions for equally good answers.

The marine section crew

Last edited:

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I want to leave this open temporarily, as I'd love to have input from our community. Please help construct this thread into a good diagnostic guide. I'll combine the ideas in the main thread and close it after we have a good basis.

Heimao

AC Members
Jun 18, 2017
IMG_0303.JPG Help please!
I know that this guppy is probably dying, but why?? My tank is 22 gallons. I use distilled water for changes, add aqua clear, algae gone, and fluval waste control. I feed 1 pinch in the morning, and one in the afternoon. Tropical tank. I have a lot of algae despite having two algae eaters. I lose 1 out of two fish I put in, mostly mollies, guppies and danios.
Please help! I want a healthy tank and healthy fish.
Heimao
Ps. I have a Danio, three small rainbow tetras, two neon tetras, two mollies, two rasboras, and two platys. The angel is about 3 1/2 inches long and the rest are an inch or two...
Thank you!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You might want to start a new thread, specific to your problem and tank. In the mean time...please include current water parameters from a good liquid test kit. Why are you using distilled water?

Heimao

AC Members
Jun 18, 2017
Hi! Thank you for replying! The site won't let me start a thread until I've been on it for two days. The guppy just died. I've ordered a liquid test kit from amazon-should be here tomorrow (petsmart has only pond test kits, can you use those in an aquarium?). I'm using distilled water because our tap water is super acidic, and I was told I have to use distilled or purified or the fish will die. I'm so upset- it seems no matter what I do, I lose a fish every few days!
Thanks again!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I'm not aware of that 2 day limitation. When you get the test kit, test your tap water and on the pH sample on a bit that set out over night for it to gas off.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Also test your tank, fish or no fish to define it's initial conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store